• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma trifasciata ID help

Mat

hello,

Please tell me what is a color form of A.Trifasciata? It's from Paraguay, Brazil or Guapore system? First fish is a male or female? The second picture - the same question. Thank's for help:). First one is bigger and have longest body than the second one. Second fish have higher body. They are small - 2-2,5cm.

Last question is about head of the first one. It's not too flat?

first one:

20632789-F875-4999-BE51-981D30EA6255.jpeg

first one again:

4ABF800C-D5A9-4583-BEF1-1268B3BE3622.jpeg

second one:

15111572-F630-4E59-A1DD-D0A20A2F65FE.jpeg

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi Mat + all..

I can`t say anything about confirmation of colorform /heritage/original location...
From what I know, the "thickness"/shape of the lateral line + colors (red or blue form/morph) of male filaments/fins are the 2 most typical details to separate/verify trifasciata-heritage...if possible at all? (females)
Females of trifasciata , erythrura (sp."Rio Mamore") and others may sometimes be hard to ID with 100% accuracy from eachother.. but if so , take a look at the abdominal band(?) / the diagonal bar below the lateral band on their posterior flanks...

https://www.ciklid.org/artregister/art_sok_resultat.php
http://apisto.sites.no/slekt.aspx?gruppeID=1

They sure both look like females to me..
( Short dorsal+anal-fin-tips, lack of typical male glimmering blue "gill-covers"+ body, obviously black on short ventral/pelvic-fins, slightly yellow on lower part of the small-sized body /normal female-size , no developed filaments/extensions of the dorsal+ventral/pelvic-fins )

Head-shape looks normal !!

/Micke

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
At 2 - 2.5 cm size they are probably too young to properly sex. As for which river system, I would say the Paraguay/Parana system. Guaporé males typically show an honey/amber back above the lateral band.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….