• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I'm sure everyone experiences this but

ron1njdds

You're looking at your fish and can't find one..after a thorough search you finally give up. Assuming it died, what do you do? Nothing..just let it decompose and hope your biofilter can keep up (we are talking about a small dither fish in a 20L tannin biotope tank with 85 gallons of filtration power) or tear everything apart and try to find it? In a heavily hardscaped and planted tank this seems crazy to me. What do all of my experienced fellow fish keepers do?

MickeM

5 Year Member
(If it was a female from an Apisto-pair missing in a tank I`d wait for at least a week to see if she turns up from a cave with free swimming fry. )

If it`s the last specimen of fish with no medical history gone missing , I would do a smaller waterchange (5-10%) , and then siphoning off/cleaning a small amount of the bottom-sand/gravel if possible. I might do this 2 or 3 times before adding any new fish!!
If you are a not an experienced tank-owner , the best could be to ask an experienced one to have a look at the tank/set-up.
If you`ve lost more than this last fish in a short period of time I`d change the strategy and maybe lift all the interior out with the water (to a bucket/quarantine tank) and then clean+ restart the tank..
This is a common way to do it.. Especially when you keep+breed many species in several tanks at once.. (Apistos, Bettas, Killies, others..)
Fish of this kind rarely lives longer than 3-5 years so death will happen nomatter if you want it or not..

If other fish are still present in your tank I`d check them up carefully for parasites or bacterial infections before adding any new fish.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….