• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Please help ID Apisto

BraedonB

I bought this fish (my first Apisto!!) on impulse labeled "Apistogramma Regani" today at my LFS. About 1.25-1.5 inches long. The little information I found on the species said that other Apisto sp. are often sold as "Regani". Any input on what species he/she is or info on the species would be greatly appreciated.
apistogrammaregani1-jpg.515615

apistogrammaregani2-jpg.515616

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It definitely is not A. regani. The vertical bars on the flanks are too narrow and the caudal spot is round, not vertically linear. It could be any of several species, but the photos don't show enough features to identify the species.

BraedonB

Here are some more photos; I can't believe this is the same fish! In the first pic it is stressed and in the other two it is comfortable and eating some brine shrimp.
ApistogrammaRegani4.JPG
ApistogrammaRegani5.JPG
ApistogrammaRegani6.JPG

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't think so. It shows no diagonal streaks below the lateral band; and besides A. resticulosa has never been commercially imported as far as I know.

BraedonB

Really? Interesting! I am totally new to apistos and I am a bit overwhelmed. I guess I just need to patient and wait for him/her to mature.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….