• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to use Sphagnum Moss?

ThePuzzleMaker

Hey guys,
I'm working on breeding my apistos but my waters ph is a little high (around 7.4).

I have decided to use sphagnum moss to lower the ph to around 6.5. I know how sphagnum will affect my water chemistry and lower the hardness.
My question is on how to prepare the live moss, before adding it to the aquarium.

I have live moss and have read that some people add it straight it, others boil it, others rinse it or dry it before using.

What should I do?

PD: The sphagnum is completely organic and safe for aquarium use.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I'm working on breeding my apistos but my waters ph is a little high (around 7.4).
Do you know the carbonate hardness of the water? (or the conductivity?) It will give us a bit more idea of what the effect of the peat will be.
I have decided to use sphagnum moss to lower the ph to around 6.5. I know how sphagnum will affect my water chemistry and lower the hardness. My question is on how to prepare the live moss, before adding it to the aquarium. I have live moss and have read that some people add it straight it, others boil it, others rinse it or dry it before using. What should I do?
You can use the moss live, there is a description of the process of ion exchange in <"Newbie questions... ">, <"question about conditioning..."> & <"nijsenni">.

I don't use sphagnum peat or moss at the moment, but when I did I used the <"pillow-case method...">.

Even if your water is harder than you might want, you may be able to spawn the fish successfully by adding the <"moss to the spawning cave">.

cheers Darrel

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Do you know the carbonate hardness of the water? (or the conductivity?) It will give us a bit more idea of what the effect of the peat will be.
I have decided to use sphagnum moss to lower the ph to around 6.5. I know how sphagnum will affect my water chemistry and lower the hardness. My question is on how to prepare the live moss, before adding it to the aquarium. I have live moss and have read that some people add it straight it, others boil it, others rinse it or dry it before using. What should I do?
You can use the moss live, there is a description of the process of ion exchange in <"Newbie questions... ">, <"question about conditioning..."> & <"nijsenni">.

I don't use sphagnum peat or moss at the moment, but when I did I used the <"pillow-case method...">.

Even if your water is harder than you might want, you may be able to spawn the fish successfully by adding the <"moss to the spawning cave">.

cheers Darrel

ThePuzzleMaker

I'm working on breeding my wildcaught apisto norberti.
They have adapted to neutral ph but I need to lower it in order to get them to spawn

ThePuzzleMaker

Just to understand, can I add the live sphagnum?

I've read some places that live sphagnum doesn't lower ph effectively, is that true?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Just to understand, can I add the live sphagnum?
You can. If you have soft acid water already it may survive and grow. If you have harder water it will still have a softening effect.

I would definitely try using it in the spawning cave, unless you already have soft water? Have a look at <"Thank you, Ted Judy">.
I've read some places that live sphagnum doesn't lower ph effectively, is that true?
Have a look at <"Tannic, humic...">, there isn't a "yes or no" answer, it is all down to how hard your water is initially.

Could you use rain-water in the tanks? it is a lot easier to add solutes to water, rather than to take them away, and rain-water is low in solutes.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….