• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding Rack

Raul-7

5 Year Member
I want to build a breeding rack for Apistogramma sp.

My plan as I have used with Hypancistrus sp. is to have multiple tanks connected and draining into a large sump. This will aid in ease of maintenance and water quality. It will enable mass waterchanges, similar water temperatures, parameters, etc.

What footprint (ie. 12"x10") do I need to house a pair? Ignore water quality as remembered.

What size should the growouts be?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My admittedly conservative opinion is that each adult fish needs about 1 sq. ft., but it really depends on the species, the individual fish, and how complex the decor in the aquarium is. If you do make it a multi-tank system it is very important to have quarantine tanks that are completely separate from the system. Disease/paracites introduced to one will flow into all of the others. Also, you can't modify water values in a multi-tank system, so all of the fish need to have compatible water values. Otherwise some will successfully reproduce, others will not. Grow-out tanks really depend on the size and number of fry. If you plan to remove the fry after a month in the breeding tank, it is best to start small so food can be concentrated in a small area. As they grow larger, they will need larger grow-out tanks.

Norman Fenske

I agree with Mike in theory one filter to control multiple tanks is great however the problem what if you get a disease, parasite etc.? The problem will not be just with the one tank but will spread to all. As far as raising my way may not be ideal and it require lots of water changes along with casualties once in awhile. I keep in most of my 10g tanks a pair of Apisto's approx 10 along with others tanks as well. What I have seen or experienced when the pair have fry the female will kill the male or the male will kill the female or the pair will eat the fry or the pair will raise the fry. If water conditions are great you can expect lots of fry ( I have a pair of Golden Macmasteri thay have 40 or 50 maybe more in a 10g tank and the pair are doing a great job with the young ) if the conditions are okay you may still get fry but not as many. Ideally in a best case after a month remove the fry and let them grow out in another tank ( provided you have the room and the tanks ) You need the have BBS hatchery going when you suspect the pair has laid eggs. One other piece of advice I have never seen any fry grow as slowly or start off as small as Apisto's. An example I have some Orange Flash young that are pushing the 5 to 6 month time frame and finally I can safely determine males and females!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….