• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto help for 20 long

Roko

Hi all, I am first time on this forum. I had problems with login and signing but finally I made it.

So i have 22gallon long tank 85 liter 80x30x35cm. I have school of harlequin rasboras, school of panda corys and few ottos. Latest introduction was male cacatuoides he was just 2cm long when I added him and there wasn't any sign of aggression now he is I think almost fully grown.
I was thinking to add another apisto but I am not sure should I add 1-2females (I am at fear that cory would get beat up when spawning comes, and I don't look on breeding them) or let say 1 male baby agassizii and what would work the best.?

So can you suggest me what to do from experience option 1, 2 or just leave it as it is.
Also I should mention that tank is very planted and I do 50% wc weekly also there is alot of hardscape.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
By now your cac male probably considers the entire tank his territory. I wouldn't add female cacs unless you want to breed them. If you do, you will need to remove any bottom-dwelling fish (corys) just to be on the safe side. If you want to add another apisto I would suggest a species with a different body shape and finnage. Also the new fish needs to be about the same size as your present male. Otherwise I see a dominance problem. Either way you will need to remove the male cac temporarily and re-arrange the aquarium decor. This will allow the new fish an equal chance at establishing its own territory.

Roko

By now your cac male probably considers the entire tank his territory. I wouldn't add female cacs unless you want to breed them. If you do, you will need to remove any bottom-dwelling fish (corys) just to be on the safe side. If you want to add another apisto I would suggest a species with a different body shape and finnage. Also the new fish needs to be about the same size as your present male. Otherwise I see a dominance problem. Either way you will need to remove the male cac temporarily and re-arrange the aquarium decor. This will allow the new fish an equal chance at establishing its own territory.
Tnx on answering. So as I thought it isn't that simple to introduce another dwarf cichlid, I don't have space for breeding them so females aren't a option.
If I introduce smaal 2-3cm male you think he would get attacked by older. I don't have good LFS in area so I will try to find one or I will wait until I can get let's say bolivian ram.

Roko

Or I will just leave tank as it is, I even have colony of blue rili shrimps that my cocato don't bother.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A Bolivian Ram or Laetacara spp. would be a better option. Without knowing the numbers of fish in your schools, I can't suggest what to do. Of course: If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Or as my family tells me all the time: "Don't touch it, you'll break it!":D

Roko

A Bolivian Ram or Laetacara spp. would be a better option. Without knowing the numbers of fish in your schools, I can't suggest what to do. Of course: If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Or as my family tells me all the time: "Don't touch it, you'll break it!":D
:D:D:DI have 8 harlequin rasboras, 6 panda corys, 4 ottos and one apisto and some blue rili shrimps. Lots of slow and fast growing plants, fluval 206 and one hang on back filter that is more like skimmer/polisher for water and I do 50% wc weekly that's it I think. Yea I like bolivian ram alot but in my country I can only find variety of German rams and my temperature would be good for them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….