• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Multiple Male Apisto's?

Silvercell Hawk

Hi everyone, I have a fluval roma 240ltr 4ft aquascaped aquarium and I would like to have an all male apisto tank with different species. I was told by my LFS that I could put around 10 different species in so long as there are plenty of hiding places.

Will I be able to do this? Im no expert but I do like to do my research beforehand which is why I am here. Thanks :)

Happyfins

In theory, yes. In reality I don't know how easily you will find 10 species and if you keep 1 of each species it could work. Bear in mind though that they are all individual characters and cichlids will bully others, sometimes more sometimes less. Also consider that a group of one species often looks better than a collection of individuals. As is often pointed out here you may be better off getting males from different apisto groups for better harmony but this is no guarantee for success. I often find a little crowding diffuses aggression but this only works if you are happy you can keep the tank stable waterwise.

chris1805

5 Year Member
Although I don’t have any experience, I have seen Mike recommended this multiple times for community tanks. I think however that 10 may be a bit too much. It also requires that they are all different species and introducing them at once would be aquired. I think this would also work best with some older males instead of some young feisty males.

Hopefull mike responds as he has some experience with this.

Silvercell Hawk

In theory, yes. In reality I don't know how easily you will find 10 species and if you keep 1 of each species it could work. Bear in mind though that they are all individual characters and cichlids will bully others, sometimes more sometimes less. Also consider that a group of one species often looks better than a collection of individuals. As is often pointed out here you may be better off getting males from different apisto groups for better harmony but this is no guarantee for success. I often find a little crowding diffuses aggression but this only works if you are happy you can keep the tank stable waterwise.

I don't think I will have a problem sourcing them as I have 3 good LFS within a 40 mile radius and they all have different apisto's. I know cichlids can be aggressive Ive kept them before. I do 50% weekly water changes and I have 2 external filters one a fluval 306 which is 1150 lph the other a betta 2000 lph UV. I also have a Chirihos Doctor 3 sterilizer. :)

Silvercell Hawk

Although I don’t have any experience, I have seen Mike recommended this multiple times for community tanks. I think however that 10 may be a bit too much. It also requires that they are all different species and introducing them at once would be aquired. I think this would also work best with some older males instead of some young feisty males.

Hopefull mike responds as he has some experience with this.

I would try my best to get them all at once and put them in together. :)

Ade205

I currently have a 5ft tank that houses 9 fully grown Discus. Down on the bottom there's a dwarf world going on! Two male Cacatuoides, one male apisto Fire Red Aggazzii, one male apisto Trifasiata, couple of GB Rams, and couple of keyholes. Alls very calm and amicable with only real issues are the two keyholes squabbling amongst themselves and more than any keyholes I've witnessed before in over 30 years of keeping them! Interestingly, the cacs and aggi seem to swim around randomly and without territory, the trifasiata on the other hand most defiantly has a spot that's his and rarely leaves area other than at feeding time. Cacs are two I've reared myself and lived together all their life, the others were all introduced at separate times.
As already said, think 10 might be pushing it but I'm curious to see if it works!

Out of interest, could I ask the op what shops are local that have so many species available? Not many in uk like that...
Silvercell hawk, are you near Wharf aquatics in Nottingham by any chance? As they'd probably hv 10 deferential species in stock on their own!

Ade.

Last edited:

Silvercell Hawk

I currently have a 5ft tank that houses 9 fully grown Discus. Down on the bottom there's a dwarf south amaercian world going on! Two male Cacatuoides, one male apisto Fire Red Aggazzii, one male apisto Trifasiata, couple of GB Rams, and couple of keyholes. Alls very calm and amicable with only real issues are the two keyholes squabbling amongst themselves and more than any keyholes I've witnessed before in over 30 years of keeping them! Interestingly, the cacs and aggi seem to swim around randomly and without territory, the trifasiata on the other hand most defiantly has a spot that's his and rarely leaves area other than at feeding time. Cacs are two I've reared myself and lived together all their life, the others were all introduced at separate times.
As already said, think 10 might be pushing it but I'm curious to see if it works!

Out of interest, could I ask the op what shops are local that have so many species available? Not many in uk like that...
Silvercell hawk, are you near Wharf aquatics in Nottingham by any chance? As they'd probably hv 10 deferential species in stock on their own!

Ade.

Hi, Im in Durham, we have Fish Alive in Durham, Chilton Aquatics in Chilton/Ferry Hill and AM Aquatics at Team Valley Gateshead, I know theres a good selection at Fish Alive and Chilton I visit weekly. AM Aquatics I go every few months, I will call them before I go to see if they have any.

Here's a pic of the aquarium :)
IMG_4539.JPG

Happyfins

Your tank certainly has a lot of structure. On the whole I see no issue with your plan. I always feel it is good to have an "escape tank" though in case there is an issue.I also am quite amazed at the selection you are able to get. In Australia you would be lucky to pick up so many different varieties. Guess, if you count all the domestic strains it would be easier.

Silvercell Hawk

Your tank certainly has a lot of structure. On the whole I see no issue with your plan. I always feel it is good to have an "escape tank" though in case there is an issue.I also am quite amazed at the selection you are able to get. In Australia you would be lucky to pick up so many different varieties. Guess, if you count all the domestic strains it would be easier.

Chilton Aquatics had/have A. bitaeniata peru blue, A. Tucuri, A. McMasteri, A Viejeta, A. Hongsloi, A. Nijesseni, A. Aggassizi Double Red, A. Aggassizi, A. borellii opal, A. Cacatoides Orange, A. Cacatoides Double Red, A. Cacatoides, A, Trifasciata.. I do have another tank its sitting empty at the min but I do plan on setting in up once I get this one finished. :)

Silvercell Hawk

Try it and let us know how it works out. Me? I wouldn't put that many apistos in a 4 ft. tank.

Sorry Mike missed your post, to be honest I thought 10 to be too many which is why I came here to ask. :) How many would you recommend? Which species can go together?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It really depends on the lay-out of the tank, which species you choose, and even the temperament of the individuals. For me I would pick 5 or 6 specimens of different body and fin shapes in a tank with a lot of visual boundaries and hiding places. I also add some floating tubes for fish that can't find a territory (these fish need to be moved).

Silvercell Hawk

It really depends on the lay-out of the tank, which species you choose, and even the temperament of the individuals. For me I would pick 5 or 6 specimens of different body and fin shapes in a tank with a lot of visual boundaries and hiding places. I also add some floating tubes for fish that can't find a territory (these fish need to be moved).

Thanks Mike I posted a photo of my tank ^^^^ its got lots of places to hide. I will be adding some big background plants which will create more hiding places at the back. I will probably go with 6 it will make sourcing the ones I want easier. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….