• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Does my female borelii have fry

yukondog

5 Year Member
Myself, I would put them back in with her. She may eat them she may not but either way she'll have more. When you feed the fry this morning I would take the turkey baster and squirt them back in while there feeding on the BBS you have hatched. Good luck

Madchester313

What you would squirt the fry back In to the cave with the mother while they eat. I was going to set up a nursery tank tonight with sponge filter running and try rear them. Haven’t got bbs hatched yet be tomorrow now. How many time a day would u fees 5-7 I’ve read.

yukondog

5 Year Member
I feed mine 4-5 times a day, small feedings ea. but everybody has there own way. Do the fry still have yolk sac? You need to get the BBS or whatever your going to feed them up and running.

Madchester313

No they don’t have a yolk sack there free swimming look like they have been for days she must have been feeding them or something or they was eating anything that drifted in to the cave.

I have only just got the bbs to start tonight. I’ve fed them last. If jr twice today already in crushed nt labs probiotic an some frozen brine shrimp. They’ve eaten it up to now.

yukondog

5 Year Member
The female does not feed them, they may have picked up something here and there but without food for them they may starve before long. There are others with way more experience here.

Madchester313

Yeh but only you who wanted to reply lol well I Don’t want to take her and the other fry out the main tank as it might freak her out again. Can’t see them surviving in a community tank. The 6 fry I have are now in a new tank I’ve just set up so hopefully they make it. No
Idea how they survived then if she would t have fed them. Bbs will be ready in the morning and I will
start trying to squirt some in to the cave with a pippet

yukondog

5 Year Member
Good luck on raising the fry, I have two left in the tank with the female I'm about to pull and get them into there own tank there about 10 weeks old and get the female ready to breed again.
I would get a new batch of bbs going each day, I could not keep them alive more than about 24 hrs.

Madchester313

Well
You would be amazed if you knew how many fry unintended survived in my community tanks haha
I will find out soon enough I have seen at least 2 in the cave tonight still so they will
stay with the mother in the main tank. The other 6 have now been moved. Bbs hatchery is away let’s see what happens

Madchester313

Thanks for your advice yukondog much appreciated. Thanks I will report back if and whe. They grow a little more. Good luck with yours. These guys look happy enough.

Madchester313

So. Ended up losing all the fry. I moved both females and Male to a new tank I set up just for them with a mature Filter.

The other female I thought might be a sneeker ended up with fry so I moved the Male and female out. She has about 8 from what I can see all swimming about with her. When should I remove the mum before she will be tempted to eat them.

I read after few week they want to spawn again an will see her fry as a threat.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My experience is that females without a male in the tank will accept her fry for months - until the juveniles mature and females compete with mom for breeding territories and males. Right now I have a female A. sp. (affin. luelingi) Cristal female that has fry that are over 2 months old with her. I removed the male while she was still in the cave tending eggs. I don't usually do this, but he harassed her to spawn continually, which led to her losing spawns.

Madchester313

Hi mine thanks for the reply

I removed the Male while she was in her cave once I Realised she was in there a lot I assumed she had fry. Anyway last night when I posted that message it was day 3 with the fry an she had led them around the tank. Last night I watched her tending to them. Picking any up in her mouth that strayed away from the group

Tonight I have come home she lost colour an mooching around the tank no fry in sight. I
Seen one then she put it in her mouth. I’ve watched for 25 min now and she hasn’t dropped it so I think she is now eaten all her fry

No sign of the rest. Back to square one I think

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….