• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Does my female borelii have fry

Madchester313

0BE15D33-C800-46EE-9D09-C80B5BBD7B2A.jpeg
1B57C044-F3C0-4AD7-BA4D-DF73189476AC.jpeg
F952C683-4272-4FA6-9F3A-9477D11A43C8.jpeg
E859EDC0-8F9E-4E83-860A-4C986F6E2234.jpeg
0E37A851-AAFF-4090-A050-B8AF8DD1E29E.jpeg
Morning

So Last week I noticed my Male really colourful and in and out of a coconut cave. He hadn’t ever shown Intrest in

Then last Saturday I noticed my female a really bright yellow an also in and out of the same cave. Now she look as though she is defending he cave from any fish passing by also not allowing the Male to get to close.
I can’t see in the cave as the entrance is turn to the side. Could she have babies in the cave. If so how long do I wait until they would normally come out. Or should I try and remove the cave an mother and babies. I would like to let nature take its course but I do t feel they will survive In this tanks with the other fish.

Thanks

Madchester313

Hi mike

Thanks for the reply. How do I know if they have actually spawned I don’t want to lift the coconut. It has now been about 6 days and I’ve seen nothing yet. She is in the tank with a few others so I don’t think she will feel safe bringing them out.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Patience. You'll know if they successfully spawned when she brings out fry. Her behavior and color indicates that they spawned, but you won't know it was successful until then. Be prepared to feed any fry right away.

yukondog

5 Year Member
Have you started to raise BBS yet? From the way it sounds you have fry coming, my female does the exact same thing when she has fry. Good luck.

yukondog

5 Year Member
Have you started to raise BBS yet? From the way it sounds you have fry coming, my female does the exact same thing when she has fry. Good luck.

Madchester313

No am going today to sort that out. Hopefully she does have some fry. Would she lose her colour she doesn’t seem as yellow now still in the coconut cave and protecting it

Madchester313

No am going today to sort that out. Hopefully she does have some fry. Would she lose her colour she doesn’t seem as yellow now still in the coconut cave and protecting it

yukondog

5 Year Member
It's possible she could lose some color, mine has never been that yellow, more like a dirty yellow.
Try to resist the urge to look and give it so time. Mine might be out with fry in 7 days and I have seen her stay in for 9 days before bringing fry out, every fish is different.

yukondog

5 Year Member
It's possible she could lose some color, mine has never been that yellow, more like a dirty yellow.
Try to resist the urge to look and give it so time. Mine might be out with fry in 7 days and I have seen her stay in for 9 days before bringing fry out, every fish is different.

Madchester313

Really wow am pretty chuffed she is so yellow then. There is another female although I feel it’s a sneeker Male bit that doesn’t go half as yellow that’s why I think it a sneeker

Yes I will hold back and try not to look I just wanna see inside what’s going on lol got sorted with bbs today

Not sure I posted this thread 3 times ha ha

Madchester313

Still no change she still occupying the coconut cave and defending it. Staying in there for long periods of time now only pops out to each or scare of a fish close by. Been 11 days now

yukondog

5 Year Member
If she is holding fry and not letting them out maybe she feels there is to many other fish, but she will only be able to hold them for so long. I would give them a little longer.

yukondog

5 Year Member
If she is holding fry and not letting them out maybe she feels there is to many other fish, but she will only be able to hold them for so long. I would give them a little longer.

Madchester313

Well we had a emergency tonight and confirmation on fry. She does have fry but she freaked out tonight for some reason an a few got out of the cave she went a bit crazy and looked like she was eating them and a few runny nose was lurking around so I had to get them out. I managed to get 6 but she had eaten a few. She is now back in her cave and defending it again. I’ve no idea how many still remain if any st all. Now am Stuck with 6 in a breeding box. No idea what to do next.

yukondog

5 Year Member
She mat not have been eating them, she will pick them up in her mouth and take them back and spit them out back into the fry cloud, you might be able to take the fry with a turkey baster and put them back into the coconut or in front of her and she will put them back or eat them. If she eats all of them don't give up on them, my female will every now and then eat all on one batch and not on the next 3 or 4.

Madchester313

Yeh I have since read she may have been picking them up I feel really bad now removing them I should have let nature take it course but I panicked a. Wanted to save some or I thought I was saving some lol I read if I try put them back now she will defo Eat them as she won’t know there hers. Is that info accurate? Yeh I won’t give up on her I think she has been a brilliant mum up to now the way she has defended the cave and kept them in there. I did t even think any had made it I thought it’s been that long now they was all dead. Am glad there not but feel bad now I’ve taken 6.

What do u recommend I do now feeding wise and should I try introduce the mother or leave the separate now. I was told lobster eggs are good ?

yukondog

5 Year Member
Myself, I would put them back in with her. She may eat them she may not but either way she'll have more. When you feed the fry this morning I would take the turkey baster and squirt them back in while there feeding on the BBS you have hatched. Good luck

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….