• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

One gill plate not moving

Jordan

My male cacatuoide hasn’t been the greatest lately, he has had a few problems from parasites (which are now sorted) and I believe that also caused his swim bladder issue, all is well now except I have noticed one of his gill plates doesn’t move anymore, I am unsure of what it is and research has been inconclusive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gerald

5 Year Member
Are there any apparent sores on his head or body, or pink swelling in the nostrils? Does his breathing rate (on the "good" side) look normal?

Jordan

Are there any apparent sores on his head or body, or pink swelling in the nostrils? Does his breathing rate (on the "good" side) look normal?

Thanks for the reply!
There are no apparent sores or swelling anywhere on him, but the breathing rate on the good side is I would say slightly heavier than normal, nothing drastic at all.

Jordan

I would really appreciate some help here :( over 3 forums and 3 FB groups and nothing, I really would hate to lose this male, he was my first Apisto, my first successful breedering male and I’ve grown attached to the poor guy over the last couple years.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I would really appreciate some help here :( over 3 forums and 3 FB groups and nothing, I really would hate to lose this male, he was my first Apisto, my first successful breedering male and I’ve grown attached to the poor guy over the last couple years.
It may be that there isn't much you can do. I found that male Apistogramma cacatuoides don't live all that long (females live a bit longer).

They last a bit longer oif you keep them cooler and <"feed them a better diet">, but I never managed more than <"three years"> for a male at 27oC, with a large amount of Black-worms and Grindal worms in their diet.

cheers Darrel

gerald

5 Year Member
Without knowing the cause, any drug treatment would just be a guess. Keeping him warm, clean, well-fed, and away from aggressive fish is about all you can do.

Jordan

Okay so, he passed this morning, I removed him to a seperate container and something fell out from behind his gill plate, it was tiny so I took to it with the microscope, anybody recognise whatever this is?

Attachments

• D594AA23-1163-413D-B899-19C713CD243E.jpeg
    D594AA23-1163-413D-B899-19C713CD243E.jpeg
    878.9 KB · Views: 219

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….