• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Borellii and A. Trifaciata in one Tank

Lagges

Hey all,

I recently started a new 200L "biotop" Tank. Used Anubias and Brucephalandra, so it's not a "real" biotop-tank.

Habitants are some Knodus borki and 1Male/2Female A. Borellii.

Has anyone tried to keep A. Trifaciata and A. Borellii together? I ask because they belong to the same natural habitat. Both are described as more or less peaceful Apistogramma.

I had no problems combining borelliis and ramis, but mayor problems (or simply not possible) with A. Borellii and A. Agassizii.

Greetings from Germany Lukas

Lagges

I never considered A. trifasciata as being a peaceful apisto when there are other apistos in the tank. It is very territorial.
That's just a summary of opinions I found on the net, no personal experience. Many German wiki articles describe a Trifaciata as easy to breed, easy to keep and more peaceful compared with other Apistogramma.
In my personal experience the Apistogramma with elongated body are more agressiv that these with a higher back/dorsal (sorry don't know whats actually correct).

I just wanted to hear some more people, before i try something, which will end in a new Tank for A.trifaciata, because I actually don't want them to breed a lot.

So it's most likely that keeping them together won't work?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If you don't want your apistos to breed, don't keep both sexes together. Just mix different male species together. I find that males without females tend to be less aggressive toward each other. Territorial aggression is normally restricted to ritual display and no physical interactions.

Lagges

Okay I think I didn't made my thaughts clear.
I want them to behave as natural as possible. Reproduction included. I just don't want them to spawn a lot. But some tetras in the tank should solve the "problem".

Thaught i wouldn't be the first trying to combine borellii and Trifaciata.

By the way the (unfinished) tank im talking about:
49818ee2b697b0f28c48173ee7527ad5.jpg

(Sorry very bad handy picture quality)

Happyfins

I think that is an excellent proposition given that the temperature needs are similar. I was planning to do something similar in the future. My trifasciata are quite peaceful little things so I say give it a go. Someone has to be a pioneer. please keep updated.

Lagges

I actually have discarded the idea for this tank. I am planning to get a large tank with 2m width. Then I will try to combine two or three different Apistogramma species.
At the moment I combined A.borellii and Ramis in my 1m tank, without any problems. Both species co-existing completly peaceful.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….