• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bolivian Rams were not eating, died

Tindomul

Hi,

I have a 75 gallon planted aquarium. I have 35+ cardinal tetras, three Otocinclus, 20+ amano shrimp and two Nannacara anomala (both male as it turned out). I quarantined everyone before introducing to them to the tank, including 4 Bolivian Rams.
In quarantine, the Bolivians were giving me a hard time feeding. Towards the end of quarantine they were eating better, not fantastic, just better. I thought that might be normal for them because I had never kept these before. I heard they might be stressed due to spartan conditions in the quarantine tank, so I decided to introduce them to the big tank. The Nannacaras left them alone, but all too soon I noticed I could not get them to eat. One by one they starved to death, with the last one having died today. I have been working long hours so I noticed today that my Nannacaras are not their active normal selves. They are staying at the bottom and I think one has a cloudy eye. Not sure if this is all related or not.

1) What happened with the Bolivians?? Were they wild caught? Were they sick???

2) Should I be worried about the Nannacaras?

I have only been keeping cichlids for less than a year.

Mbkemp

What were you feeding the Bolivians? Yes, it sounds like they were sick

If the nannacara have cloudy eyes that is not a good sign. Any other losses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tindomul

No other losses.

I was feeding them cichlid flakes, pellets from Bug Bites, or freeze dried shrimp. Sometimes I was trying frozen blood worms or mices. Nothing was getting them excited about food.

Mbkemp

If they won’t eat blood worms then they are sick. My go too for any dwarf if nothing else works. Worms and hex are common. Hard to treat and heal by the time you know in my experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….