• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto grouping when not breeding

MarkPT

Hi all!

First post and new to dwarf cichlids so be kind!

Tank is 145litre, 90cm with lots of live plants, bogwood and a single half coconut.

I have 10 rummy nose tetra and 5 panda cory's.

I'd like to have an Apistogramma Cockatoo (or more, or possibly tempted by Rams) but my thoughts/concerns are;

- I don't 'really' want to breed them, if it happens it happens, but don't really want my tank over run!
Considered a single male, but I hear and appreciate you won't really see their character as a lone.

If I paired him, would I need 2 females as opposed to a single, and I presume this increases the chance of breeding (how often can they breed btw?!!)

- Lastly are they going to get on ok with the Cory's in one of the formations above?

Many thanks in advance!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I see problems with adding a breeding group of apistos to such a community. Do a search here about breeding apisos with corys. Also Rummys are notorious fry predators. Not good for breeding apistos or the tetras if caught. My advise is get 2 male apistos of different species with different body shapes and fins - similar temperaments. They will show their territorial behavior through thread displays but generally it's all show and no blows.

MarkPT

Excellent thanks Mike, appreciate your input.

As we all do, before buying, I've been looking closer today and 'may' be further swayed towards Rams of some nature. Can you enlighten me (pushing it on the same thread!!) on them and their best 'groupings' in such a tank? By the looks of it maybe just 1 male and female, if of course I can successfully source the exact sex?!

Norman Fenske

If your referring to Rams the male is going to have a longer Dorsal fin then the female plus his body will be more robust and have more color. This also depends on the size when they are young there is still differences but its not as easy. As Mike put it with the fish you have the odds of having any fry surviving are slim at best. I have 55g its full of fish everytime the pair of Kribesies I have have young ( usually 40 or 50 ) maybe 1 or 2 survive. I also have cory's 6 of them along with lots of other tetras gouramis etc. If your looking at apisto's the male depending on the type will have a much longer dorsal fin and in general the other fins are much longer and more brightly colored

MarkPT

Thanks appreciate your response --- from a fry perspective I wouldn't be 'ideally' looking to breed, so if they want some/it happened in a safe way then fair enough!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If you're not interested in breeding, why put a potential breeding pair of cichlds into a community tank?? Breeding in such tanks just leads to aggression and stress for all of the fish. Anyone who has been on this forum for any length of time knows my mantra: "A community tank is not a breeding tank".

MarkPT

Totally get that point, think it was just to have them in their 'natural' environment or paired characteristics, if it happens it happens, just not setup as a 'breeding tank' I guess :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Unless your tank is super-large, your fish are in nothing like their natural environment where they can simply swim away from aggression. Do what you want. I hope you are luckier than most who try this.

Norman Fenske

From what I have read you really need to make sure there is no clear line of sight in the tank meaning lots of leaves ( Catappa or others like Oak ) this will give the apisto's a place to hide adding drift wood will also help you really need to try a recreate the environment from where they came. Mike is correct with his comments I have seen the aggression these fish have which has caused me to isolate the prs to their own separate tank.

MarkPT

Thanks guys - I truly appreciate your words --- I ended up with 2 female German RAMS, an apisto Cockatoo male, and male (young/small) agassizi fire red.
There's about 5 pieces of decent sized bogwood with nooks and caves, lots of java fern and cover - and all seems good .... the agassizi has certainly come in to make areas his own!

Almond leaves on order

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wrothgar

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….