• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question about Apisto feeding behaviour

Lockyn

Hi everyone! I’d like to start off by saying that I am new to Apistogrammas,freshwater fish in general actually. I have a reef tank which has been running for a few years now,but the moment I saw an Apistogramma Cacatuoides in person for the first time,I could not resist getting a pair for myself.
I set up a 10 gallon tank,and my pair has been doing relatively well,but my male is extremely picky. I’ve tried multiple foods. (frozen brine,freeze dried brine,frozen mysis,5 different pellet foods.)
He’s actually mouthing them rather aggressively,but what he does is that he’ll chew on them for a few seconds,and he’ll either spit them out or the food comes out of his gills. I’ve only seen him swallowing the brine shrimp and mysis a few times now,and I’m getting worried as he is getting quite skinny. The female,on the other hand is eating everything I’m offering.
Is there anyway to get him to eat more? My parameters are as follows:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm

Thank you,any help is appreciated! :)

Lockyn

Here’s a picture of the two of them :)

Attachments

• 836AA84C-C599-4A7A-A77B-6C5A6EC56C4D.jpeg
    836AA84C-C599-4A7A-A77B-6C5A6EC56C4D.jpeg
    463 KB · Views: 284

Bart Hazes

I'm afraid he may have an intestinal parasite in which case he will likely not make it. There are medications but I've never been very successful with them. You can try small (or chopped up) live (earth)worms or mosquito larvae. The latter gave a new male A. erythrura that was struggling to eat his appetite back.

gerald

5 Year Member
+1 for mosquito larvae ... the all-around best food for recovering starved or stressed fish. Set up a plastic tub or bucket outside with a handfull of leaves and few pieces of dog food (or any decaying organic matter), and you'll have mosquito larvae in a few days. You might get some bloodworms (Chirononmid midge larvae) that way too. Hoping its not a parasite problem.

Lockyn

I’ll try to get the mosquito larvae and I’ll dose praziquantel,thanks everyone!

yukondog

5 Year Member
Welcome Lockyn, I have a small male Hongsloi that refuses to eat anything that is not moving, I do as stated above in harvesting mosquito and bloodworm larva, between 6 5 gl. buckets, bird bath and fountain I have a steady supply of both and just freeze the surplus.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….