• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Recommendations for sand?

larryl

Hi all -

I'm thinking of rebooting my current tank and replacing the gravel with sand that I hope will be a better substrate for my A. agassizii and some dwarf corys. Does anyone have any recommendations of specific sand I should buy, or at least characteristics to look for?

Thanks!
Larry

TCMontium

5 Year Member
My preference has been JBL Sansibar White, but other white/yellowish sands with almost dust sized (well, many not THAT small, but less than a millimeter of diameter) particles should be fine too.
The sand shouldn't be bubbling when it makes contact with strong acids. You can test that by dropping a few drops of a "pH drop" product or toilet bowl cleaner (maybe vinegar will work too, but I'm not sure if it is strong enough) on a small amount of sand that you are ready to wash and throw/flush away after the test.
I don't know if color of the sand if important for Apistogramma health as size of the particles is. I used JBL Sansibar Orange and it had so much more "color dust" than the white that it was a real torture to wash the sand. White required 6-8 washes to be "clean" and orange sand still released a considerable amount of "color dust" into the water after 30 washes. I put both into the aquariums and while the white sand made the water murky (without any running filters) for a day or less, the orange made it murky for approx. a week.

larryl

Thanks @TCMontium, that is very useful information. I searched around and it looks like the JBL products are available in the UK or Europe but I am not finding anyone in the USA who has them. By any chance do you know of another product that is similar that I might be able to find in the USA?

Also, how deep do you make the sand?

Thanks!
Larry

doinkmobb

I use pool filter sand in my tanks, it's cheap, non-reactive, clean and uniform in size. It just works.
With a really fine sand, you run the chance of a deep bed compacting and trapping organic material which rots. Pool filter sand has less tendency to compact, but I still stir it up once in a while. My personal experience with a fine sand (play sand from home depot), is that one inch was enough to become rotten and gross. I have up to three inches in my 75 gallon, with no ill effects.

Norman Fenske

I wanted to get Pool Filter Sand but none of the local Home Depot and Lowes stores had it so I went with play sand ( on the packaging it said it had no chemicals added ). I will admit its a real pain to clean it and even after 20 minutes of washing it it still turned the water slightly cloudy but after 1 day it was clear. I also used a make shift filter to help with the cloudiness. I take a power head and get a 16oz drionk bottle cut the bottom off attach where you drink to the power head stuff the bottle with polyfill within a day tank will be clear.

Norman Fenske

Well I made a slight mistake yes the play sand I bought from Lowes was cheap 4.00 for a 50lb bag and yes it took a lot of cleaning to get is reasonably clear however I found a hardware store that carries pool filter sand 9.00 for a 50lb bag. Big difference I set up a 20 long and used the Pool filter sand straight out of the bag added water plants etc yes there is some cloudiness but considering I added the sand and water this morning and its almost 9 hours later the water is almost crystal clear I am impressed. Wish I started with this sand from the start now I will use for future tanks but I am not going to redo all the other tanks that have just the play sand too much work.

Daneland

Well I made a slight mistake yes the play sand I bought from Lowes was cheap 4.00 for a 50lb bag and yes it took a lot of cleaning to get is reasonably clear however I found a hardware store that carries pool filter sand 9.00 for a 50lb bag. Big difference I set up a 20 long and used the Pool filter sand straight out of the bag added water plants etc yes there is some cloudiness but considering I added the sand and water this morning and its almost 9 hours later the water is almost crystal clear I am impressed. Wish I started with this sand from the start now I will use for future tanks but I am not going to redo all the other tanks that have just the play sand too much work.

Play sand is a pain to clean. Pools filter sand was too expensive for me to order online due to weight and I could not find it locally. So I used play sand, it is safe, it has to be safe enough for children; in the end some kid eat it. For compacting Malaysian Trumpet snails are good as they actively dig substrate.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apistokeeper

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….