• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A.borellii

Madchester313

Ha ha yeh I can see why u would come to
Dislike them if you ate them so much lol yes I had a circlur saw an just cut it in half. Tried with normal saw first it was hard lol

I used standby knife and scraped the hair off then rubbed it with sand paper. Threw them in a pan boiled for 10 minutes then soaked in tank water after I did my water change. My first time so no idea if that’s a quick way or not lol

yukondog

5 Year Member
If you see a oil film it's coconut oil and you may need to start over, if you have not put in tank yet try putting in bowl of water first and see if it is leaching oil or not.
My method is to drill or knock out the 3 monkey eyes and drill hole in opposite end to allow air in fluid out, cut in half clean out meat and sometimes soak in strong bleach solution for a few hrs., rinse well and let dry for a few days in the sun.

Madchester313

Ahh yeh that’s a good idea. I have added it but I did boil it an soak for ages after. Seems ok nothing as of yet. Although I will try that method as am going to get more they really suit the tank. I have filled the monkey holes with marimo moss an cut little door out. None have gone in yet though lol

Madchester313

Ahh right I see. So you condition them before and then when you know she is ready you just add them in. Do you just leave them
In there. Do you separate the male once the eggs are fertilised.

Does she just find the caves mine went near it and the seam off lol

yukondog

5 Year Member
I normally remove the male after the eggs hatch and she starts to bring them out, the only reason I removed him was because he ate the first batch after they hatched, on the second batch I removed after she laid and she ate the eggs the next day, I may have removed him to soon I'm thinking the eggs may not have been fertilized and I may have removed him to soon, I know once they have hatched she wants nothing to do with him.

Madchester313

That woman in general ha ha

So when she lays the eggs does she just lay them on the sand or against the inside of the coconut. Should I put something in there like Marimo moss bal or something. She actually went in last night sn seems to not be snake to find the exit lol kept swimming last the door.

There is some activity an also because I have 4 they all seem content with each other now before there was a lot chasing. Still no idea on the second of the other two

yukondog

5 Year Member
She will lay in the roof of the cave/coconut, a moss ball will work fine, I use java moss. Has any of them started to turn yellow? If they do lay eggs what do you have to feed the fry?

Madchester313

Ok so I will put some marimo in there. Yes I have one which I added on here that’s been turning yellow more so when the male interact with her. I hope it’s a her lol an when she explores the coconut cave she was a golden yellow colour. My male is more silver with a lot of blue in his face and fins. The other two one is tinted yellow but still small an other is just normal Baby borelli from what I’ve seen

Nothing yet to feed but was thinking bbs maybe do you have any recommendations on what’s best to feed if it did happen.

yukondog

5 Year Member
If there turning yellow it is more than likely females, if she goes in and stays in the coconut than more than likely she is on eggs, if you don't see her again she will stay in side or around the mouth of the opening and will chase anybody that gets close, resist the temptation to look, she will bring the fry out in about 4-5 days at least mine does, when you think she is on eggs I would put the marimo ball a couple inches from the opening that gives the fry a place to hide and they can feed off of the micro organisms, assuming your tank is established. How big is your tank and how long has it been set up? If you don't have any brine shrimp eggs to hatch now would be the time to get some and be ready to hatch [easy to do]

Madchester313

Sounds like a good plan I will do that with the marimo balls. Yes I did read not to take a look an leave hem too it.

I hope there females that would be nice I know defo got 1 of each for now. It’s 32g tank been running 9 month now I would say fully cycled yes. I was looking st eggs last night and how to make a hatchery so might order some and crack on with that idea so at least am ready if t happens. If it doesn’t happen then no to worry least am prepared lol

yukondog

5 Year Member
The hatchery can be very simple, I use 2 2liter bottles and air stone, very simple and cheap and works great. Good luck

MickeM

5 Year Member
NO mate done he same I bought full coconut drank the milk scraped out the content and cut it in half. There pain to cut ha ha
If you have a saw you can score and break or I use a drimal tool. When I grew up in south FL. we had coconut trees in our yard, I ate so many of them, I cant stand the taste of them now. How do you normally clean them before putting into tank, I'm always interested in a easier way.?

I always put the coconuts in the freezer for 1-2 days, then I get into action just using the hammer:)
The pulp inside then usually also separate without any problem..
If you have a bucket/tank with some snails or Ancistrus they can do the rest of the cleaning(if necessary?) before you put the pieces in your Apisto tank!!

Madchester313

Afternoon so I have mate a hattery using something jars following a post from this site I believe. It all ready with a air stone I had lay around. Eggs on order but won’t be here u till
Monday. So
I will Give it a blast ha ha

Hi thanks for you tip maybe I can try that as I want a few more shells as caves. I did however split mine with a grinder ha ha I don’t have any snails unfortunally but I didn’t manage to give them a good clean and scrape the coconut out

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….