• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mixing A.cacatuoides and A.borellii

Madchester313

hi

An new here so this will be my first post. I have a 36g tanks 36”

I was looking to add a apisto cacatuoides on its own asi didn’t really want to get in to
Breeding or a harem. I then noticed in my local lfs they had the a.borellii which caught my eye.

My question is would it be possible
To have 1 of each in the same tank and of what combination would be best.

I’ve a feeling the answer is it’s not posisble but since I haven’t found a answer anywhere yet maybe this can save some people time in the future.

Thanks and go easy on me if this is a stupid question. As am new to cichlids

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If it was my tank I - and not interested in breeding - I'd add 3 males only of 1 of the 2 species mentioned, if the tank is properly decorated with enough territorial boundaries. I wouldn't feel comfortable keeping A. cacatuoides with A. borellii due to differences in size and temperament.

Madchester313

Hi Mike

Thanks for the reply that sounds like a fair enough comment maybe I can look in to that then. In your opinion which specie would you recommend from the two mentioned. Have you had any experience with either.

Out of curiosity can u have a pair of borelli in Communty tank

Thanks mate

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
A. borelli would be better for a community tank in my opinion, as they are smaller and more peaceful compared to the A. cacatuoides.

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
Do they work in a pair or is it best for a m/2f ratio ?

Thanks for the replies
They work "best" in a pair in the sense that you'll likely see their natural breeding behavior. I enjoy watching the process even if my community fish eat the fry before they reach 2 weeks old. If you get males only, you'll have lots of color and a little sparring but nothing in terms of courtship, which I find to be fascinating.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The only problem with pairs in a community situation is that females become rather aggressive toward any fish near her brood territory once they have fry. This can lead to damage and even death for tank mates who don't know enough to stay away. This is why I recommend male-only in community situations. Either as pairs or males only, A. borellii tend to be less likely to wreak havoc on other community members.

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
The only problem with pairs in a community situation is that females become rather aggressive toward any fish near her brood territory once they have fry. This can lead to damage and even death for tank mates who don't know enough to stay away. This is why I recommend male-only in community situations. Either as pairs or males only, A. borellii tend to be less likely to wreak havoc on other community members.
Certainly a possible scenario, but I feel it depends far more on the female in particular than the general sense of "all females". I have had an A. macmasteri female chase her male to the other side of a 55 gallon but didn't touch any of the Corys that kept creeping up to her flower pot/breeding space. I have other females who chase only the Corys but leave their male alone.

Madchester313

Great information chaps. I’ve decided to get the borelli but keep them in my other tank so I will get 1 male 2 females they will be house with some rummy nose and see what happens. Maybe the breeding could be interesting to each

One other thing. What’s the difference as I’ve seen borellii umbrella / opal / blue am unsure on if these are different sn how would you know what your getting as some have amazing colour and red spots on there face. Some blue yellow

Thanks

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
First, just realize that rummies are infamous fry predators. If this isn't a problem with you, they should be OK with A. borellii. As for the names, well they're more descriptive/commercial. It is best to see the fish first. If you can't you'll have to depend on photos found online and the truthfulness of the seller.

Madchester313

Hi

Yes I have read up on that after you suggested it I have now moved the rummies to my community tank so for now they will be alone. I have been and noughts a male and female pair I believe. However the seller has said it is hard to sex them at such a young age they are very small. He has said if it turns out I have 2 males he will happily swap one for a female. They are lovely little fish am really happy with them. Is there a way to sex them I can keep an eye out other than colours.

Thanks for all the help and info

Madchester313

Thanks for the reply

Ok so just a waiting game. I love these guys they are fascinating fish. Well think you said above about 2 males would be ok anyway so guess it dontt matter so much.

I made a few rock caves but they don’t seem bothered st the min they hide behind them or just swim around exploring.

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
If you order from the Wet Spot or more other online vendors, I find the Blue's more petty than the Opal. I haven't seen an Opal fully grown, but the Blue's seem to have far more color, especially early on.

Madchester313

Ok I will have a look. Well when mine grow out a little and colour up I will post a picture. At the minute there tiny with not much colour. Some blue spots in there face.

Madchester313

C8A42F07-2F1C-427F-AF2B-C0A62A86C04E.jpeg
F20DAF7E-9738-46D6-AF1E-DA2B46D17A2D.jpeg
C8A42F07-2F1C-427F-AF2B-C0A62A86C04E.jpeg

Madchester313

Afternoon Darrel

Well I had my suspicions to be honest as they have only been in for 2 days now and already one seems bigger and little more dominant. Should I wait it out or get remove one or maybe add some females. Just my luck ha ha

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well the fish in the photos are so out of focus that it is impossible to ID the species. That being said, my guess is that they are A. borellii. Steel-blue apistos should show a larger caudal spot that is distinctly separated from a continuous lateral band. A. borellii typically shows a lateral band that becomes less distinct toward the head and a very small caudal spot that is part of the lateral band.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….