• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tucurui spawned!

finzz

5 Year Member
I'd never kept these before, so when I saw them on an availability list, I sprung for a few. They have a reputation for being aggressive towards each other, so they're in a tank with lots of cover and hiding places. I found this when I got home from work today and when I looked further, I saw that there was another female on the other end of the tank with a brood of her own. Wish me luck!

Don

A_tucurui_mom_1.jpg

yukondog

5 Year Member
Good luck, how are they now? I have a spawn of Borellii fry, I don't know how fast yours will grow, but the Borellii seem to grow as fast as frozen molasses .

finzz

5 Year Member
The second brood disappeared and it looks like the female is sitting on another batch of eggs now. The first group has gotten smaller, but growing well and is still under the protection of the Mom. There are two young Dicrossus maculatus in the tank that I couldn't catch without removing everything and I suspect they are to blame for the missing fry. I'm going to try and net them out after the lights are out and they're out-of-service some night.

yukondog

5 Year Member
I've done that at night with a flashlight to blind them with good success, but the second the net touches them there gone. Good luck and keep posting about it.

TCMontium

5 Year Member
Sleeping Dicrossus are nearly teleporting when startled/touched. You can still catch them easier in the dark if you are lucky though.
I collected 5 out of my 6 juvenile Dicrossus from a community aquarium in just 2 tries with a bottle trap with their favorite food inside (along with some cardinal tetras). Bottle trap is really the fastest, easiest and least stressful method for catching fish. Just make sure fry wont be going into the trap too, use dry food instead of BBS if your Dicrossus do enjoy any dry food.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….