• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding free swimming fry.

Dean Castle

Evening,
I've just noticed my N. annamola has come out of her cave with about 20 fry. I'm very excited but not sure the best way to feed. Any advise is welcome.
Thanks,

Dean

Dean Castle

Had them for 2 weeks. Around 20 looking very happy with a good mum taking care, came home from work next day.....all gone:(. Not sure what to make of it but she's flirting with the male so hopefully there will be more to come. Can I separate the fry from the mother once free swimming?
Thanks for checking in!

Dean

gerald

5 Year Member
Yes, but I would leave a few fry in with the parents. Otherwise the parents may fight if all the fry suddenly disappear. Or, you can move the parents and leave the fry in the tank where they hatched.

yukondog

5 Year Member
I prefer to move the parents instead of the fry which I have done, but it's easier to move them instead. And the parents can handle the change better than the fry.

Dean Castle

Thanks for the input guys, space is limited so moving the fry seems a better option, i only have room for a 20L tank.

Dean

TCMontium

5 Year Member
Considering how much waste the artemia feeding fry (and uneaten artemia) will produce and the need of space for growth of tens of fry, I would put the parents in the smaller aquarium and fry in the bigger one. If the parents are too big or too aggressive towards each other to stay in 20 liters together, then I would give one away or put one (or both if big enough) in a bucket/container (which would be 15 to 50 liters in volume) on the floor. It is cheaper and easier to move and store than a small temporary aquarium.

gerald

5 Year Member
Bugra -- If Dean is in USA, then "20L" usually means "20 gallons "Long" (30 x 12 x 12 inches) as opposed to "20H" which is 20 gallons High (24 x 12 x 16 inches). But you're right, the fry will need more space than the breeding pair.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….