• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Borellii mating?

yukondog

5 Year Member
The first batch of eggs I did not see the Borellii mating but watching them now I see the female going up to him then turn around and back up to him and a lot of showing off to each other, is this there mating dance? The only cichlids I have breed are kribs with them its easy to tell.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Courtship in apistos rarely takes more than 5 - 15 minutes so most hobbyists rarely see it. What you describe seems to me more like she is trying to dissuade the male from getting any closer to her spawning cave. Yes, she probably is already brooding eggs.

yukondog

5 Year Member
She has not been going into the cave, she stays out and follows the male around gently swimming up to him and displays to him. Thanks

yukondog

5 Year Member
Pretty sure there are eggs now, she drives him away and for the most part stays in the cave, the first batch the male ate them after about 10 days or so. I have a 10 gal. cycled I was going to use as a fry tank, I'm thinking about moving him to tell the fry are old enough to swap to, will the female raise the fry on her own without the male?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
All apistos are maternal brooder. They would prefer not to be bothered by a male. A. borellii females are famous for being great mothers. Decades ago hobbyists would give A. borellii females fry form rarer apistos (and other cichlids!) to brood.

yukondog

5 Year Member
Great, I've done that with krib fry, slowly introducing just a few at a time [same age] to another female. I was surprised at how fast she accepted the new fry.

yukondog

5 Year Member
Counted about 15 or so, its hard to get a good count with al the plants and cover, they sure do grow slow.

yukondog

5 Year Member
P1010081.JPG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….