• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Apisto. borellii breeding?

KJdts

Hi all

I added fish to my newly cycled tank on Tuesday. Which included a pair of a.borelli opal.

On Wednesday, I believe my female may have laid eggs. She had cleared out a lot of sand between a rock and driftwood and her and the male were in that area. She was doing a lot of belly up movements under the rock and was happy to have the male there with her. She is now a bright yellow color and gets black stripes down her eyes and in her fins and is constantly chasing the male away and then returning to her 'nest'.

My question is... now what?! I'm feaking out. I knew a pair might breed and hoped they might eventually... but did not expect it to be the day after I bought them and thought I would have a lot more time to research. Boy was I wrong. Rookie mistake, I guess.

Provided I am correct and she's laid eggs (I understand they might not be viable). But if they are should I, or can I, clean the tank?? How often for water changes? When should the fry be seperated from the female if at all. Eeek. So much to learn so little time.

I plan to spend most the day reading over as much info as I can. But I'll be greatful for any information or suggested reading you can provide.

Thanks!

yukondog

5 Year Member
I got my first [ Borellii Opal] breeding about 2 days ago also but my female never turned that yellow more like a dull yellow brown color, she laid hers in a coconut, how big are yours? My male is smaller than the female.

KJdts

My female is roughly 3.5cm and the male 5cm. She's got wigglers now (I can't see well enough to guess how many), can't wait until she shows off her fry. I am still in awe she laid eggs so quick after purchase. But I've done lots of reading the last few days and have learned so much that I'm not nearly as panicked. Hopefully this goes well. :)
Were yours sucessful thus far?

yukondog

5 Year Member
So far, I had him about 3 weeks I guess before she laid, I figure it will be another 5 days or so before I see them. This will be my first batch.

KJdts

My female brought out her babies this morning!! I could count 5, but I'm sure I haven't seen them all. She's keeping them at the back of the tank. I'm amazed!

KJdts

I got a pic of them :)
Screenshot_20180323-113640.png

yukondog

5 Year Member
She brought them out last week, looks to be around 25 or so, I think some did not make it, I guessing there were about 50 or so when she first brought them out. How are yours doing?

KJdts

Sadly mine were all gobbled up by their daddy. She laid eggs again yesterday. Hopefully she'll have better luck this time. I've added additional caves and hiding spots to my tank.

yukondog

5 Year Member
Mine are doing good so far, I thought I saw the male eat one, he sucked it in and took it back to the group and spit it out, now he has all the fry with him most of the time, sometimes the fry are split up between the two. Is this normal? Most things I read say to remove the male.

yukondog

5 Year Member
I saw the male eat the last one the other day, I think there about to breed again I was watching them today and they were dancing around each other but to be honest I really don't know the matting ritual of apistos [new to them] the only cichlids I breed are angels, rams and kribs. Well see in a few days if she locks herself in the coconut again.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
h1ns

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….