• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P. pulcher Fry Showing Mouth Brooding Behavior

aarhud

5 Year Member
The. P. pulcher pair that are tending free swimming fry broke up after a couple of weeks. The female is courting other males while the male is tending the remaining 5 free swimmers.

I noticed yesterday that the fry were actively trying to get into the males mouth. I watched the lone male for quite a while and he would scoop the fry up and hold them much longer than what I have seen from other substrate/cave spawners. The most I seen him hold at once was three fry. Eventually he would spit them under a leaf. The lights are on a timer and still had 3-4 hours left before turning off.

Anybody noticed this before?

aarhud

5 Year Member
The male is indeed carrying the fry around in his mouth. Yesterday afternoon I thought the fry were gone, but his mouth was extended. I watched for a long while, but he never spit. He swam around the tank and still chased other fish. This morning, I seen him with one fry.

gerald

5 Year Member
Wow, never heard of a krib doing that, other than for short-term transport when retrieving runaway fry. But some of their not-too-distant cousins do it, like Chromidotilapia.

aarhud

5 Year Member
You can see the extended mouth. Sorry for the crappy picture.

5rlOQ8U.jpg

aarhud

5 Year Member
The male is only guarding 4-5 fry. He is acting like a mouth brooder. The female he spawned with is flirting with other males and this male, but he continues to guard. So odd.

gerald

5 Year Member
Now almost 3 weeks after free swimming, right? This is amazing and should get a writeup in the Buntbarsche Bulletin or somewhere. Keep getting pix!

aarhud

5 Year Member
I'll try to get more pictures. Today he was not "holding" and the fry were hanging out under a oak leaf. The fry may be large enough now to survive to adulthood. I would guess 3-4 weeks old, but I don't recall when the spawn occurred.

Hopefully, he spawns again with one of the females. I never noticed him taking fry into his mouth when there was a big group of fry. Once the group whittled down to 4-5 fry and the female left, he started carrying them. What really struck me as odd is how the fry actively sought shelter in his mouth. I had seen the same behavior in mouthbrooding severum fry.

I'll see if I can get a cell phone video.

gerald

5 Year Member
How long did they typically stay in his mouth each time? More than just a minute or two to move them from one place to another?
And do you know whether they spent the night in his mouth? When I had red-hump Geophagus they'd go into mom's mouth when the lights went off, and be released in the morning.

aarhud

5 Year Member
I don't know about the exact times. I have seen him holding and come back an hour or so later to see him still holding. I don't know if he is holding that whole time or not. Other times he is simply guarding the fry like a typical substrate spawner.

Maybe something broke in him and he is staying in "move the fry" mode for much much longer than normal lol. What is cool is the final 5 fry that are being carried around are actually surviving. The tank hosts tetras, other cichlids, and some endlers. I thought the fry would have been eaten by now.

They holding behavior is most likely about over. The fry are of a size now that it would not be easy for the male to take them into his mouth.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….