• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma cf. agassizii forms from the Rio Xingu

Shane Puthuparambil

Hello,

I am looking to find photographs of A. cf. agassizii forms from the "lower" Rio Xingu... I will be receiving some from a friend in the near future, if all goes well.

Does anyone have any experience with fish from the region?

Thanks,
Shane

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The lower Rio Xingu has a couple of agassizii-complex species. One is A. cf. agassizii (Broad Black Caudal Seam), which is found in right bank (southern) tributaries of the lower Amazon between the Rio Madeira and the Atlantic coast of Brazil. See: http://www.rva.jp/zukan/apisto/ap_agassi_xing.htm. Just realize that this form, like most forms in the A. agassizii superspecies, is highly polychromatic, so body color is variable. The other species from the lower Rio Xingu are A. sp. Vitoria do Xingu (A229) and A. sp. Blauspeigel/Blue-spangle (230). These 2 undescribed forms are genetically the same, or very close, but show a different pattern of dark markings and separated by from each other by a series of major rapids (Cachoeira Pequena). The biotope of A. sp. Blauspeigel will soon be destroyed by the Bela Vista dam.

Shane Puthuparambil

Hello Mike, I have a small update for you.

Here is what I received. I received around 4 males and 15 females, or so I believe.

Let me know what you think.

Shane

P.S. My friend said a female less than an inch in size and a male around 1.25-1.5 inches are raising free swimmers... remarkable for their size.
25270902_408157282936883_1442748865_o.jpg
26782437_420075355078409_1572887855_o.jpg
26781665_420075358411742_632347944_o.jpg
26781793_420075375078407_614362846_o.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
"Fish floating out there"? I don't understand what you ask. Distribution of A. cf. agassizii (BBCS) in the Xingu isn't precise, but it doesn't appear to occur as far upstream as Altamira. Rapids on the lower course of the river appear to block their upstream migration.

Im a Doughball

Pics attached. Brooding female in the leaf litter. 3/4-1" GBR fry in the background if anyone is concerned about scale. Sorry about the iphone quality photos, and the photo bomb.
image1 copy.PNG
image1.PNG
image1 copy.PNG image1.PNG image2.JPG image2.PNG image3.PNG image4.PNG image1 copy.PNG image1.PNG image2.JPG image2.PNG image3.PNG image4.PNG
image1 copy.PNG
image1.PNG
image2.JPG
image2.PNG
image3.PNG
image4.PNG
image1 copy.PNG
image1.PNG
image2.JPG
image2.PNG
image3.PNG
image4.PNG

Last edited:

JoeriD

Hey john,

Found out what they are already?
Are these from the same batch as shanes fish?

Im a Doughball

Hey john,

Found out what they are already?
Are these from the same batch as shanes fish?

Hello. No, but I think Mr Wise makes the most compelling argument for what they could/should be , given what we know. I'll keep feeding and watering until they grow enough to know. These were part of Shane's group, neat little fish, they are tap water friendly

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi Shane + all..

Thanks for sharing the nice pics+ video..!!
Just need to ask you.. Is that a female Diapteron(Aphyosemion) cyanostictum(?) in your video??

/Micke

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….