• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help identifying

HeatherL

Greetings,
I am brand new here and looking for some help and advice. Please let me know if I’m posting in the right place. You all look very, very knowledgeable and I feel out of my league, but ask advice from people who know, right
So, I have a 55 gallon black water tank.
Current stock:
7 Hatchet Fish
15 Rummynose
6 Sterbai Corydoras
A pair of Pearl Gourami
and this lone Apistogramma

The Apistogramma I purchased as a juvenile pair, but be never made it out of quarantine. Pretty sure (s)he has dropsy.

This little fella I believe is a Hongsloi, but I’m not sure if it’s male or female.
I really love the little guys demeanor and would like to get him a mate.
Can anyone help confirm it’s a Hongsloi and help with gender?

Thank you

Attachments

• 932C41B5-E3D1-45D1-BDE9-167BA3156241.png
    932C41B5-E3D1-45D1-BDE9-167BA3156241.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 292
  • D7553CCF-E961-4905-9FF8-13B5DEF19A00.jpeg
    D7553CCF-E961-4905-9FF8-13B5DEF19A00.jpeg
    610.1 KB · Views: 300
  • DEE10125-2BEE-4E2B-8FB0-9282EED05B11.png
    DEE10125-2BEE-4E2B-8FB0-9282EED05B11.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 282

Tlindsey

Greetings,
I am brand new here and looking for some help and advice. Please let me know if I’m posting in the right place. You all look very, very knowledgeable and I feel out of my league, but ask advice from people who know, right
So, I have a 55 gallon black water tank.
Current stock:
7 Hatchet Fish
15 Rummynose
6 Sterbai Corydoras
A pair of Pearl Gourami
and this lone Apistogramma

The Apistogramma I purchased as a juvenile pair, but be never made it out of quarantine. Pretty sure (s)he has dropsy.

This little fella I believe is a Hongsloi, but I’m not sure if it’s male or female.
I really love the little guys demeanor and would like to get him a mate.
Can anyone help confirm it’s a Hongsloi and help with gender?

Thank you

Welcome aboard

I'm also new to Apistogramma but you are on the right forum.
@Mike Wise

HeatherL

Welcome aboard

I'm also new to Apistogramma but you are on the right forum.
@Mike Wise

Thank you,
I’m very much enjoying poking around the site. I’ve only been in the hobby for a little over a year, and it seems as though I’ve developed a taste for South American fish. I just love the apistos

Tlindsey

Thank you,
I’m very much enjoying poking around the site. I’ve only been in the hobby for a little over a year, and it seems as though I’ve developed a taste for South American fish. I just love the apistos

I've been in the hobby of fish keeping since the 90's but new to keeping Apistogramma. Have a pair of Cacatuoides Apistogramma l've had for about 3 months and they already have spawned twice.:)

HeatherL

Nice! I was thinking about getting a pair of Cacatoides if I can’t find a mate for my Hongsloi. I don’t want tax my bio load or cause trouble for the lone Hongsloi though. If I can’t figure out what this little fish is I’ll look into Cacatoides and see if they will work in my tank.
Thoughts?

Tlindsey

Nice! I was thinking about getting a pair of Cacatoides if I can’t find a mate for my Hongsloi. I don’t want tax my bio load or cause trouble for the lone Hongsloi though. If I can’t figure out what this little fish is I’ll look into Cacatoides and see if they will work in my tank.
Thoughts?

Even though they are small they require lots of space and leaf litter and driftwood along with plants to break line of sight. The female Cacatuoides is patrolling the most of the 20 long lol.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Heather, I'm afraid the the photos you provided just don't show enough diagnostic features to give an accurate ID. I would need photos that show the dark lateral band for a confident ID. If it was sold as A. hongsloi, then it probably is this species. It also appears to be a female.

gerald

5 Year Member
If she looks or acts sick at all, i would NOT get any more Apistos until she appears fully recovered, which I hope she does. Watch out for rapid breathing or loss of appetite - those are signs of potentially serious disease.

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
Hard to tell from the images, but if it is A. hongsloi, they have very tall bodies and the large belly might be just that. Again, hard to tell from the images if its scales are protruding or not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….