• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

3 Guys and a Girl

AnotherDave

So I went out and got 4 Hongsloi from the lfs and asked to 2 pairs, but A couple hours after introducing them to there new home it clear it’s 3 males and a female. I have a 450 ltr planted tank with lots of hiding places.
Question is how long can I keep that ratio or would it be advisable to get more females as soon as possible.

The males seem to be more interested in establishing territory and don’t seem to bother her much. But when they have breading on there minds it may be another story.

Thanks
Dave

Will

So I went out and got 4 Hongsloi from the lfs and asked to 2 pairs, but A couple hours after introducing them to there new home it clear it’s 3 males and a female. I have a 450 ltr planted tank with lots of hiding places.
Question is how long can I keep that ratio or would it be advisable to get more females as soon as possible.

The males seem to be more interested in establishing territory and don’t seem to bother her much. But when they have breading on there minds it may be another story.

Thanks
Dave
Dave,

If you’re looking to breed them it’ll definitely become an issue. However if it’s purely for enjoying the fish then you could get away with it. You just need to keep an eye on how they react to each other. If female starts to spawn the unsuccessful males with either be attacked or attack the female.

Will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnotherDave

Thanks Will.

No breading planned. I’m keen to have a community tank, currently have 4 types of dwarfs in the tank. The Bolivian rams look like M/F but the keyhole and rainbow are too hard to sex. Looking online they mention pointed fins on the male but I’m not seeing it.

Will keep an eye on the aggression, going to make a few more hiding places just in case.

central tanks

In all honesty the best rout for a community tank will multiple males is to have no females. Females are normally the trouble starters or the reason trouble is started. Now with a 450 liter tank (118 gallons) you may be able to get away with it, wouldn't know as I don't/cant have a tank that size accept for in my dreams lol.

AnotherDave

In all honesty the best rout for a community tank will multiple males is to have no females. Females are normally the trouble starters or the reason trouble is started. Now with a 450 liter tank (118 gallons) you may be able to get away with it, wouldn't know as I don't/cant have a tank that size accept for in my dreams lol.

That’s what I was thinking , but was told that the males would look a lot less colorful as there would be no one to show off for. So far there don’t seem to be any problems but it’s too early to tell. Will be keeping an eye on it to be sure everyone gets along.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….