• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help with identification Apistogramma borellii e trifasciata

blucenere

Hi everybody,
I would like to understand if:
Apistogramma borellii Opal is the same of Apistogramma borellii Red Mask

and if:
Apistogramma trifasciata blue (A204?) is the same of Apitogramma trifasciata Pantanal.

Unfortunately the info on internet are discording :(

Bart Hazes

The information may be discordant because it depends on how you define "the same". They are considered the same species in science but it is not uncommon to see variations in colours or marking in different geographic regions. Sometimes you see variation within the same region or even amongst siblings from the same spawn. The latter are from the same gene pool so from a population biology perspective they really are the same. But as an aquarist you may still consider them different. Of course, then there are the captive-bred colour variants. Again different as well as the same, depending on what you are comparing. If you just want to know if they look the same, A. trifasciata A204 is listed as "Nordliches Pantanal", so may actually be the same as A. trifasciata Pantanal. A. borellii 'Opal' has red marks on its cheeks so I would not be surprised if it is the same a A. borellii red mask. Actually, a quick google search suggests it is.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rileylouie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….