• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello Apistogramma Community! :)

Tlindsey

I am fairly new to Apistogramma but have kept many species of fish including Freshwater and Marine species. About 3 weeks ago decided to try German Rams again so I setup a spare 20 long and decided also to try Bolivian Rams due to them being hardy so last week went to my favorite lfs and they had Triple red and Double Orange Flash. Chose the Double Orange Flash because there were only male Triple Reds.
After a couple of hours of observation noticed the Double Orange Flash Apistogramma are dominating the bigger Rams.
15086007423321892253435.jpg
15086007423321892253435.jpg

Tlindsey

I am fairly new to Apistogramma but have kept many species of fish including Freshwater and Marine species. About 3 weeks ago decided to try German Rams again so I setup a spare 20 long and decided also to try Bolivian Rams due to them being hardy so last week went to my favorite lfs and they had Triple red and Double Orange Flash. Chose the Double Orange Flash because there were only male Triple Reds.
After a couple of hours of observation noticed the Double Orange Flash Apistogramma are dominating the bigger Rams.View attachment 7144 View attachment 7144
Sorry about the low quality phone pic. I have Oak leaves in the aquarium and a small tree stump I stumbled across it is not waterlogged.

Bart Hazes

All cichlids are territorial so some skirmishes are to be expected and add to the interest. If it becomes bullying then you can try to break lines of sight and provide hiding places so the bullied fish can get a time-out. Currently the driftwood is not helping so put a stone or something on it to get it on the bottom. Other rocks, more leaves, (coconut) caves can all be considered. Most of my apistos make a quick chase and as long as the other fish gets out of sight all is fine. But occasionally I have an apisto (A. sp. Abacaxis on two occasions) that actively pursues the other fish even if it was getting out of sight and in that case you have to separate them or the chased fish will perish.

Tlindsey

All cichlids are territorial so some skirmishes are to be expected and add to the interest. If it becomes bullying then you can try to break lines of sight and provide hiding places so the bullied fish can get a time-out. Currently the driftwood is not helping so put a stone or something on it to get it on the bottom. Other rocks, more leaves, (coconut) caves can all be considered. Most of my apistos make a quick chase and as long as the other fish gets out of sight all is fine. But occasionally I have an apisto (A. sp. Abacaxis on two occasions) that actively pursues the other fish even if it was getting out of sight and in that case you have to separate them or the chased fish will perish.

Yes thanks there are other places for them to hide and get a break occasionally and I realize Cichlids are known for this behavior but was surprised by the smaller Apistogramma controlling others 3× their size. Btw the everyone is ok atm I will keep observing and take action if necessary.

Shane Puthuparambil

Awesome. I still think that the addition of a few more elements is necessary. There will be a time when you are not watching and when you come back, a dead fish will be sitting on the substrate.
I would add a spawning mop. It is a great hiding place for fish that are being chased. I would add multiple in fact!
Additionally, I would add more leaf litter.
Liking the progress and welcome!

I hope you enjoy the forum.
Shane

Tlindsey

Awesome. I still think that the addition of a few more elements is necessary. There will be a time when you are not watching and when you come back, a dead fish will be sitting on the substrate.
I would add a spawning mop. It is a great hiding place for fish that are being chased. I would add multiple in fact!

Shane

Yes I will add .more elements and a few more leaves. I want to learn all I possibly can about Apistogramma and is pleased I found this Forum.

Thanks Shane

Tlindsey

Shane

Thanks for the kind words will add more leaves and probably more wood.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….