• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Cacatuoides sexing/breeding questions

Alex 1999

HI! I am new to apistos, and I have two, they were sold as a pair, so I am hoping that they are male and female but after reading some peoples posts about sneaker males I am nervous. I have some pictures and I have been watching their behaviors, the supposed female is slightly yellower, as well as smaller. They don't seem to fight, and will swim near each other without any issues.
So I think that they are a pair, and so I am hoping to casually breed them, like very casually, since I don't plan to remove them from the display tank if possible. I was wondering what temps and such they should be at, I can't seem to find it, maybe I'm not looking well enough... Well I could use some help!
Thanks for reading, now time for some pictures!
IMG_8522.JPG
IMG_8571.JPG
IMG_8633.JPG
IMG_8198.JPG
IMG_8198.JPG
IMG_8244.JPG

ButtNekkid

5 Year Member
Hi,

I keep them in:
1 dGH
3 dKH
120-140 µS
24-26 Celsius ,75-78 Fahrenheit

They breed in this water without problems.
I remember them being "whitewater" species. If they are, they like slightly harder water just fine.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
HI! I am new to apistos, and I have two, they were sold as a pair,
They look like a male and female.

The plant in the first photo, the one with the stripy leaf immediately behind the female, isn't an aquatic plant, it is a <"Dracaena">. It really annoys me that these are still being sold as "aquarium plants".

If you are in the UK? PM me and I can send you some suitable plants (for p&p). I always have spare plants.

cheers Darrel

Garri Ausmus

5 Year Member
I am in the process of raising two spawns from my pair in their own 55 gallon tank, i have found if you drop their temp.... I yanked the heaters, and got 2 spawns from my pair 29 days apart. 72 degrees and below produce a better sex ration in the spawn. If you spawn them at 80 they produce smaller batches of fry and mostly males. my house temp stays 69 to 70 degrees and that is what their tank stays at. both spawns were in a 10 gallon tank. This picture shows both spawns looking lengthwise into their tanks. I just moved the pair out
Apistogramma cacatuoides_5-27-2017.JPG
of the frys tank at 1 week.

FishKeeper86

I am also new to breeding and new to Apistos and have a similar concern/question. I purchased a male Cacatuoides about 3mo ago and then picked up a female (hopefully) this last weekend. I have added them both to a 20gal community tank while I set up a 10gal breeding tank. However, the male has been chasing the female (pictured below); is this normal behavior for a male a female just added to the same tank? I would think that he would be displaying his fins to her rather than being aggressive. So... do you think this is a female? Do you have suggestions? THANKS!

Attachments

• 20180117_135008.jpg
    20180117_135008.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 398

FishKeeper86

Domestic forms of A. cacatuoides can be hard to sex. How large is this fish? Are the tips of the dorsal and anal fins pointed or rounded.

Fins are pointed and she/he is about an inch long (definitely smaller than the male, but that might be due to age/maturity if not a sexual dymorphism)...

NOTE: This morning the two are in close proximity and the larger is *not* be aggressive (but it's still early in the day...).

The smaller of the two appeared to turn yellowish yesterday. This morning that yellow-coloration is gone and she appears darker.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If 1" long and has pointed tips, it's a very good chance that it is a male. Smaller, subdominant males often take on female colors to avoid aggression by dominant males.

FishKeeper86

If 1" long and has pointed tips, it's a very good chance that it is a male. Smaller, subdominant males often take on female colors to avoid aggression by dominant males.

Well that's disappointing. My LFS owner gave me the strong impression it was a female. Recommendations for how to buy a female online?

Garri Ausmus

5 Year Member
I agree with Mike on this one, juvies also are tough to sex as the are so similar but he is correct about the pointed or rounded fins. here are pictures of my pair, the first two are the female and the last is my male
fire01.JPG
fire02.JPG
super red male.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….