• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Where to find aquarium safe clay pots

Strong Style

Hi everyone,
I was wondering where you folks get your aquarium-safe clay pots for breeding? Such as this one for example from the breeding A. borelli thread:
31%2520%25284%2529.jpg

I really like the color and prefer these over the pet store cichlid caves. Is there any advantage of using one over the other? Also, from prior reading, am I correct that once the female spawns I can lift the pot and move it into the fry raising tank without worries?

Thank you!

Jay

You can get plain clay pots from nurseries or home improvement stores in their garden area. Most are not as decorative as the one your holding but they are clay and aquarium safe. Personally, unless there is a reason to remove the eggs to a different container I would let the parents care for them. If one goes bad it will spread to all of them unless its removed. If you cant wait for some other reason, maybe take the female with the eggs to the fry raising tank. Good luck.

Phile

I would also recommend giving the pots a good soaking and a good rinse before placing them in any tank. You never know what the pots have been treated or stored with. If you have very rare or valuable fish, it wouldn't hurt to drop the pots into a tank with some cheap fish-like zebra danios or common guppies - for a few days just to see if they are tolerated. Better safe than sorry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….