• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma id confirmation

rowsley

Went to gerbers tropical fish in dayton, OH yesterday and bought this pair marked as apistogramma viejita. After hours of searching on here and Google. I'm sure this is apistogramma macmasteri, since I now know Viejita are rare and 99% are macmasteri. I just wanted confirmation. Still very pretty fish, and the pair was 59.99, so pretty expensive too. Thanks for looking and looking forward to your answers.
20170424_103842.jpg
20170424_103006.jpg

rowsley

20170423_162706.jpg
Yeah they were colorful when i got them and it was about 2 hours getting back home.

Pretty decent place to get fish. I appreciate the input.

Here was the sign for them. I was originally going to look for cacatuoides.

central tanks

Macs are awesome fish, will have some at some point.

Ya LFS have pretty high prices sometimes. I was obsessed with Cacs at first and was about to get another trio but iv decided to go with some Agazi instead. Should be ordering them in about a week tank gets set up on Wednesday and just gotta insure its taking care of ammonia(using precycled sponge filters)

rowsley

My female has already dug a pit under some drift wood and has a sand wall built up, and has not been coming out. Is it possible she's guarding eggs?

My male occasionally goes there, but mainly cruises the tank.

Thanks,
Ryan

rowsley

Sounds like they've spawned or soon will. Has she changed coloration? Is she chasing away the male if he gets real close to the site?
She's a deeper yellow than originally.
If she comes out, it's really quick, and goes right back.

He gets close to the cave, but i don't notice him being chased off.

rowsley

Yep, that's the typical after-spawning behavior ;)
She is showing her aggression now. She almost seems to bow down to the male when he comes by, and he also is keeping things in order. So they seem to be getting along, and working together.

I'm really surprised this has all happend within a week of getting them, but can't wait to see some free swimmers.

bbetta

5 Year Member
The fish were in a pretty good shape when you bought them and it's pretty common for them to breed right away, when introduced to a suitable environment. Keep as posted with more pics

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….