• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mixing L. araguaiae with A. borellii

WuddyWoodpeckah

5 Year Member
Hi folks

I have a 60 gallon (4ft long) moderate to heavily planted tank with 5 L. araguaiae (1 -1.5 inch, I can't really sex these buggers yet). Is it OK to add 5 A. borellii (2M 3F, also just about same size right now)? Or will it spell disaster eventually?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

WuddyWoodpeckah

5 Year Member
Drats... I thought as much. No Borellii in there, then. Do you think I should take out any/some of the Laetacara as well?

Thanks for the input.

gerald

5 Year Member
Laetacara dont usually defend huge territories (based on experience with curviceps and dorsiger) so a 4-ft, 6-gal tank should allow the non-breeders space to get away, IF araguaiae are similar in behavior. Just got some araguaiae myself a couple months ago; sex differences do not appear to be as distinctive as in the other two spp.

WuddyWoodpeckah

5 Year Member
Great, I hope I do not have to rehome any. In other news, my hongsloi have decided to breed in a temporary tank that I put them in... great!! :/

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
In my experience, L. araguaiae is much closer to L. dorsigera in terms of territorial aggression than it is to L. curviceps if that helps.

gerald

5 Year Member
Explain, please? Which of these are you saying is more aggressive? I don't recall any difference between dorsigera and curviceps territorial aggression, but it's been decades since I spawned either of them. I dont think i've seen curviceps for sale in 20+ years.

QUOTE="dwarfpike, post: 102138, member: 4608"]In my experience, L. araguaiae is much closer to L. dorsigera in terms of territorial aggression than it is to L. curviceps if that helps.[/QUOTE]

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
I found L. curviceps much more mild than L. dorsigera, with L. araguaiae in the middle of the two, but leaning closer to L. dorsigera. While not as territorial as L. thayeri, I still found quite a notable difference between L. dorsigera and L. curviceps.

I am speaking specifically to a pair in terms of territoriality.

WuddyWoodpeckah

5 Year Member
So far I have not seen a whole lot of aggression with the araguaia but the fish are sort of young.. about 2 inches.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….