• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to get a breeding pair of A. Cacatuoides?

Andrew Jordan

So I've decided that I am going to add my new apistos to my 29 gallon with one sole angelfish. My next concern since my hope is to breed them is how to i get a pair to form? My LFS doesn't have them old enough to sex yet so would it be best to buy several and allow them to pair on their own and rehome the others once I have an established pair? Or do they prefer harems? My other concern would be is this pairing of apistos and my angel be acceptable, should I be worried for aggression towards wither my apistos or angel? If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
First, A. cacatuoides does not form pairs. It is a polygamous species and a male will breed with any female willing to breed with him. Personally, I would buy 4 - 6 juveniles and pick the best looking male and female (or preferably 2) and move the rest. I see problems with keeping an angelfish with breeding apistos. A community tank - which is what you plan to keep - is not a breeding tank.

Phile

So I've decided that I am going to add my new apistos to my 29 gallon with one sole angelfish. My next concern since my hope is to breed them is how to i get a pair to form? My LFS doesn't have them old enough to sex yet so would it be best to buy several and allow them to pair on their own and rehome the others once I have an established pair? Or do they prefer harems? My other concern would be is this pairing of apistos and my angel be acceptable, should I be worried for aggression towards wither my apistos or angel? If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated!
If you ever get a breeding group of apistos, the angelfish will appreciate all of the little appetizers that they produce.

Andrew Jordan

Thank you for the advice, and while technically it is considered a community tank the female angel will be the only other member because I have no other tanks up to move her to. Once I have some that are breeding I will consider moving them to their own designated breeding tank but I'm assuming that won't be for a while hopefully I'll be fine until that point. If it comes down to aggression i'll cross that bridge when i come to it, they require caves such as coconut shells correct?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….