• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help with choice of Apistogramma

Gustavo Soares

So hi all, it is a bit hurried to do it right now, but I hadn't really tought apistos had such a radical low pH and soft water, I am from Brazil, home of many of them, but the water I have easy acces to is not really the most suitable for them (hard-ish and pH at around 7.4-7.6) I had in the past some african fish (Polypterids, African Knife and so on) but ended up changing for amazon themed tanks, I am setting up two tanks, one 250 litres and a 126 litres, here are some resumed setup listing:

250 litres, 100x50x50cm (66g, 40x20x20")
Fauna:
1 Ctenolucius hujeta
6 Pterophyllum leopoldi
3 Aequidens diadema
2 Crenicichla regani
And that is it so far, likely to get a small catfish (if not apistos) for this tank, also some smaller plecos (regardless of apistos), filter system is by sump, it works quite well, as I once had 9 15-20cm polypterids and some others in there, water kept at 29ºC, water will blackwater, by dry almond leaves (we have tons of these trees just on the street side) and these fish are doing well so far, also, I tought of a geophagus redhead, but can let it go for apistos;

Currently I have all but the C. regani in home, kept at tap water really, and doing well enough for a few months, the tanks are to be fully working in the manner I stated above in March 1;

126 litres, 80x35x45cm (33gal, 31x14x18")
Fauna:
2 Pairs of Apistos
8 Albino Glowlight tetra
8 Veilfin serpae tetra
8 Rummynose tetra
3 Veilfin Ancistrus Pleco (2 albinos, 1 common)
So far from this one I got the Glowlights and Plecos, they are being housed with the angelfish in Tap (no worries with C. hujeta hunting them, he is in another tank)
This one is to run on an internal filter, and may be set up anytime I wish (likely few days before the apistos arrive), same water conditioning as the 250 litres (Tap+Almond leaves)

Okay... that was a fair bit of background info, I deem it usefull at the least, so why am I here, I am ordering the C. regani and two pairs of apistos tomorrow, precisely in 15 hours, my options are A. elizabethae (R$120, U$30), A. wilhelmi (R$80, U$25~30) and A. gephyra (R$50 U$15~20), the prices are for pairs, they are to arrive here sunday, and for personal reasons, the dealer will only be able to accept payment untill tomorrow, so, I need a bit of a hardy fish, the fish are sold in pairs, wild caught, on the young-ish side, he claim that this makes them more adaptable, the plan was to go for a pair of A. elizabethae and A. wilhelmi, but reading led me to believe that A. elizabethae is too sensible to work in my conditions (RO is really not an option here, few shops have the RO water, at high price, and don't even get me started on buying a RO unit with the current dollar price...)

Also, I mentioned the bigger tank because if deemed workable, I could put a pair in there, it is an option anyway

So I ended up writing a lot, decided to make a TLDR, I am to use tap water mildly hard and of pH around 7.4-7.6 conditioned with almond leaves to house my apistos, I can choose two pairs, my options are A. elizabethae, A. wilhelmi and A. gephyra, all young and wild caught, the original plan was an A. elizabethae and an A. wilhelmi pairs, I have to make the choice in 15 hours, I should post this in Husbandry, but I need answers for a hurry, more details in the spoiler.

Also, the forum really should make a spoiler box, I made one from knowing the little bit I learnt in other forums of BBcode, but people with no forum experience won't be able to.

I am thankful of any answers I may get, I know to keep them in this water and to buy them right now is rather rash and a bit irresponsible, but it is the first time in a long while I have a chance to get apistos

So, I just choose to put ths up in case someone actually likes grammar here and saw errors in my post, english is not my native language, I would love to be corrected, if you wish to do so, do it in spoilers as I am doing, so forum dwellers uninterested to the subject don't need to see it, as a reference, here is the code for spoiler boxes, I will just put the example I used right now
Code:
[spoiler=Do I have a bad grammar ?]
*text here*
[/spoiler]

Gustavo Soares

I'm sorry, I was very sleepy, I guess ai didn't make much sense;

Knowing my water won't be too controlled, just somewhat acidic and somewhat soft, likely not too much, which Apistogramma pairs would you reccomend ?

I ask this mainly for having had read a bit about the elizabethae needing a pH lower than 6, sometimes lower than 5, and I won't have ways to controll it to "tightly" early on, basically, which of them do tou think are hardiest ?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Of the three species only A. gephyra does well at pH>7. I doubt any of the species will reproduce in your water values. A. elizabethae and A. sp. Abacaxis (there is no species "A. wilhelmi") are true blackwater species that need soft, acid water for long-term care.

As for your grammar, it isn't perfect (Queen's English), but is very good - better than some native speakers. As one of my college English professors once told me, "any English that you can understand is good English; it's not perfect, but is good." I try to use the best English grammar that I can. I know not all members of the forum are super-fluent in English and proper grammar helps.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I am to use tap water mildly hard and of pH around 7.4-7.6 conditioned with almond leaves to house my apistos, I can choose two pairs, my options are A. elizabethae, A. wilhelmi and A. gephyra, all young and wild caught, the original plan was an A. elizabethae and an A. wilhelmi pairs
I think you need softer water for all of these species. Could you collect rain-water?

cheers Darrel

Gustavo Soares

Thanks for the answer, in the end I got one A. sp. Abacaxis (Thanks for the info Mike, little detail about this name, Abacaxi means pineapple in portuguese, likely for the yellow color), two C. regani and got some credit, will likely get a trio of Agassizi and a pleco with it;

About the water parameters, I will condition it with almond leaves, I plan to get blackwater in both the tanks, though I doubt it would reach the values needed for A. elizabethae, hence I decided to not get it at all, I was mostly worried about the eliza, and if I ever house them (the A. sp. Abacaxis and A. Agassizi I am getting, not trying eliza so soon) in this slightly alkaline pH, it will most certainly be temporary, breeding is of course in the plans with apistogrammas, will use a 40 litre tank with a HMF, a lot of almond leaves and heated to 29ºC doing cycles with A. sp. Abacaxis and the A. Agassizi, when fry is free swimming, I'll just take the parents out to the 126 litres tank and grow the fry in the breeding tank, the breeding will be mostly for fun, stimulating the fish and to do exchanges with local hobbysts, not really in for the money, so this slow method should work well;

About rainwater, I could, but we have a really seasonal rain, there are some 2 months where we have rain nearly every week, the rest of the year is sunny and hot and sunny again, I'd be a bit worried about the unconstancy of the supply, I could however try a solar water distiller cheaply enough to not be worried about it if it fails, as the water I'd need softest will be in the 126 litres and the breeding tank, The amounts are small enough, a solar distiller plus rainwater collected in rainy months should last enough, specially if I mix the rainwater for the WC of the bigger tanks, about almond leaves, that is something I don't have to worry about the supply, there are tons of almond trees around the city.

Also, does anyone have some decent research material for P. lepoldi biotope ? so far I've got this one (4th place in SA category) which I might simulate in the 250 litres

Will be updating soon when the fish arrive here, thanks to all!

Shane Puthuparambil

My LFS is selling a elizibithae, but I decided not to purchase them. Man I wish I had the money!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gustavo Soares

Haha, we all have gone through that sometime Shane, I for one still feel bitter about not getting some hystrix rays some two years ago at about 15 U$D each, but oh well, that would've been a desaster for my small fish tanks... maybe I should get a small swimming pool or pond in the backyard... their prices have gone up a bit nowadays, but don't go over 40 U$D(buying from a shop, around ~20 U$D each to get it shipped as wholesale from Manaus)

Shane Puthuparambil

I am looking for an Abacaxis pair here, but I can't find them! A pond sounds cool! Have you gone collecting ever?

Gustavo Soares

Unfortunately not yet... I mean, a few small catfish in local creeks but... that doesn't amount to much really, even though I live 2.4 thousand kilometers from manaus... I'll probably go in the next three years, it is not a whole lot expensive to do so, but really, I hadn't time nor interest until a little while ago, but as of now, I'll keep only 3 tanks, the 250 litres with medium sized cichlids, the 126 litres for apistos and tetras, and a breeding tank... not sure if a 40 or a 125 litres breeding tank... I could pick some glass and silicone in the middle of the 125 making two of 62.5 hence being able to breed two pairs at the same time... but for collecting, I'll get to it when I get some more tanks I guess

Shane Puthuparambil

You are lucky you live near the collection points of all these fish species! What type of medium sized cichlids are you referring to?

Gustavo Soares

For the 250 litres the plan is basically:
(Sizes are maximum size they might get here, they are all still small)
6 P. leopoldi 10cm 1.50 U$D each
2 Crenichla regani 12cm 3 U$D each
3 Aequidens diadema 12cm donated
1 Ctenolucius hujeta 16cm 15 U$D
1 L270 10cm 25 U$D
2 Platydoras costatus 15cm 3 U$D each

Some names might be a bit wrong, the platydoras likely is, don't remembered it too well, the pricing I just put to make you all jealous... Some of these are hard to come by, but when they do they are dirty cheap...

From the list I got all but the Platydoras, L270 and C. regani, these are coming home sunday with my pair of A. sp. Abacaxis

I've also tought about getting a smaller geophagus, a tapajos redhead, but will see it better later on, might try some sterbai cory I have here or some more small plecos I'll try to get some pictures here this sunday, when I actually get the fish here, but if I get anymore fish it will be when these are bigger and I can see if the tank will handle a bigger bioload

Edit: Oops it was Platydoras costatus, not hancockii as I stated, also put the size these fish should get

Last edited:

Gustavo Soares

You definitely wouldn't regret it Shane, had some myself some months ago, about 8 which I got at 5cm, but when they were around 8cm I lost them all due to a mysterious poisoning, since then I've kept my hands off geophagus of any kind, might try some again for this tank though;

They are really cute fish, what people usually say about oscars, that they are just like little puppys (IMHO they are devilish bullies, had one who chased around an arowana three times his size) I felt about these little guys, they were shy for the first day, but then started going around the whole tank and begging for food, it's hard to dislike them, really hard.

Shane Puthuparambil

That's awesome! I will be creating a nice tank for them. Planning 4-6 in a 75, starting with 8 at a few cm and growing out till a few pairs develop

Gustavo Soares

LOL

Now, updating a little bit, I've got the fish home alredy, it got here well earlier than it was supposed to,so i went to my LFS pick it up, and got some nice surprises with fish they had there and got some of course, I am a bit disappointed with the coloration of the supposedly A. sp Abacaxis, but I'll let them grow to see it... no pictures today, I am really tired, been messing around with the tanks homing the fish since 16:30 (right now as I write this the time is 20:45, so four hours and fifteen minutes)

Not telling how many and which fish(fishes ?) I've gotten, that'll be a surprise for tomorrow

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….