• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Position of the coconut shell

Dan89

Guys, I have a stupid question for you :D

I'm planning the layout of my Rio 125 which will host Tetras, Otociclus, a couple of Apistogramma and maybe Cory. I'm trying to figure out where to place the coconut in order to make it safe for the breeding fish and, at the same time, hide it from the frontal view of the tank (I don't like it very much, even with plants on it)

I was thinking about placing it in a corner, and surrounding it with a bush of Limnophila Sessiliflora (see attach.). Do you think the fish would like this arrangement? My concern is that since the shell would (In theory) be pretty well isolated from the rest of the tank, the apisto will barely see it...

base1.jpg

Phile

You don't have to use a coconut shell. Many people do just out of convenience. You can build a perfectly acceptable cave out of rocks, Flat shale type rocks are very good for this, you just have to keep the opening small. The cats shouldn't be too much of a problem, especially if you keep to smaller ones. The tetras may be though.

Dan89

Hi Phile,

i think the coconut shell would be fine for me, it allows me to add a cave without modyfing too much the layout of the aquarium :) It is also quite space saving!

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
A back corner is good if you have the back and end of the tank covered. You really want 3 or 4 caves to give the female a choice, she might like a different one from the one you think she will like. If you have a enough plants and structure for the fish to be truly happy, you should be able to hide the coconut caves fairly easily in the tank.

You don't have to worry about the female finding the cave that isn't a problem.

cheers Darrel

chris1805

5 Year Member
If you have some devilish female like my Apistogramma Eremnopyge female is, she always knows were to find her male to kick his ass when she is in breeding mode. Even in the most jungle tank, she knows where to find him. You never have to worry about the female not finding the coconut :p

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
And remember ... a community tank is not a breeding tank. A brooding female can cause problems with other members of the community and visa verse.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….