• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Uaupesi "sao gabriel" WC

mr. Uaupesi

A little over a month ago, I bought 10 A. Uaupesi "sao gabriel" WC. 2 of them turned out to be a. sp. putzer males, so 8 uaupesi now I guess.

I bought them at a really small size, about 2 - 3,5 cm total length. Over the past month they have been growing nicely. A few males started to develop beautifully!

I'm still having problems sexing a few of them. At first I kept all 10 of them in a 54L tank to grow them a little bit. As they started to develop and the largest few males became more agressive, I switched 1 sp putzer male, 2 certain Uaupesi males, 1 I think is a male aswell and 1 almost certain female to the larger tank.

Now I have 4 Uaupesi left in the 54L tank, which I still am uncertain about the gender of.

Here are some pics :)

Almost certain female on the right, probably a small male on the left? :

The dominant male:

Dominant male standoff vs a. sp. putzer:

2nd in rank male, more "yellow" :

Dominant male with the "almost certain" female:

mr. Uaupesi

Thanks Mike!
I guess that's the best option to know for sure. I'm just wondering if I even have more than one female. The certain female in the 400L tank (first post) has a completely round caudal fin, while the other smaller ones in the 60cm (post 2) show the "flattened" caudal fin. I heard from an apisto breeder that female a. uaupesi don't show the flattened caudal fin at a young age.

Having 7 males and only 1 female would be sad.

Also wondering if I have only Uaupesi or if there are some a. sp. blutkehl mixed in there. Heard they come in mixed a lot on imports.

I think I'll be moving the 5 smaller ones from the 60cm to the 400Liter "community" tank soon aswell. Then the 8 uaupesi and 2 sp putzer will all be together in there.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Caudal shape in female A. uaupesi depends more on age than size so you might have a small older female and a younger female. I don't know. A. sp. Blutkehl is a species from Colombia. If your fish are from the Sao Gabriel area of Brazil, I doubt that you have Blutkehl mixed in with them. Red face markings on males is not a diagnostic feature of either of the above species. Males of both sometimes show red markings, while males of both species sometime show no (or little) red on the face.

mr. Uaupesi

Thanks a lot for your information Mike, greatly appreciated!

I was actually hoping they would only be a. uaupesi, because having blutkhls in there would only complicate things haha.

I moved the rest of the smaller uapesi to the 400L tank aswell today, so I have all 8 uaupesi (and the 2 sneaky sp. putzers) in that tank now. I guess I'll be watching them closely from now on in hopes of some progression on sexing (and more than 1 female) :)

I'll keep you updated and post some pictures if I can get any nice ones!

mr. Uaupesi

A little update video of the dominant uaupesi male having a standoff with the sp putzer male again.

Unfortunately, my baenschi female died today in my 60cm tank. I only have a male left. The only positive thing out of this is that maybe in the future I will put a pair of the Uaupesi in the 60cm and try to breed them.

mr. Uaupesi

A little update for those interested:

A few days ago I put the certain female uaupesi and the dominant male together in a separate 60cm tank. I also trimmed the stock of my showtank a bit.

400L:

7 pterophyllum rio nanay
5 A. uaupesi "sao gabriel" WV
3 d. maculatus WV
4 awaous flavus WV
5 pyrrhulina spilota
2 hemiloricaria
1x l201

60cm:
12 n. beckfordi
7 c. pygmaeus
4 otocinclus
1m/1v a. uaupesi

The uaupesi in the 60cm have been showing signs of wanting to spawn. Here are some pictures and a video of the display/interaction :)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….