• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Borellii or blue steel?

Bobblehead27

I picked up a couple of fish marked as borellii the other day. now I'm sitting here at work reading about and seeing pics of blue steels sold as borellii and I'm getting nervous I should be home from work tomorrow afternoon and take some pics but I was wondering at what size should I be able to tell the difference because I'm noticing a lot of blue speckles on their face and I'm thinking I was duped. also what size should they start getting their mature colors in? mine are still small I'd say maybe an inch.

gerald

5 Year Member
Photos would help. Steel-blue vs borellii should be distinguishable at that size, although there's a bunch of other possible steel-blue lookalikes (inconspicua, caetei, etc). Determining sex may take longer. Both are nice fish -- don't be too disappointed if they're steel-blues, as long as you can find a female.

Bobblehead27

Yea based on what I read this is definitely a steel blue (or at least definitely not a borellii) based on the spot at the start of the tail :(

Attachments

• 20161202_150015.jpg
    20161202_150015.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 528

MickeM

5 Year Member
As you say..The Apisto in your pic is absolutely not a borellii .. !! By the yellow color + lacking any blue metallic signs/shimmering, it may be a female..??????
Do you know if they are bought from a wholesaler as WildCaught or as bred fishes ??
How much did they cost??

Post a pic of a male if you can/have one!!;):)

Last edited:

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'd say female, but it's not a borellii. More pictures of the fish, especially at more of a straight on angle at the side of the body, would help though.

Bobblehead27

As you say..The Apisto in your pic is absolutely not a borellii .. !! By the yellow color + lacking any blue metallic signs/shimmering, it may be a female..??????
Do you know if they are bought from a wholesaler as WildCaught or as bred fishes ??
How much did they cost??

Post a pic of a male if you can/have one!!;):)

They definitely have metallic blue speckles all over their face starting to get some on the body
Tank bred
2 for 18
I've come to terms with the fact that they're steel blue :( might return them for some female Agassizii but I might just keep them. my wife still likes them

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
With the usual disclaimer that I'm not very good at this, but they look like a male and female of "Steel-Blue".

These ones belonged to Ste Chesters.

cheers Darrel

Bobblehead27

Yep that looks like them. thanks I was really looking forward to borellii but whatever you win some you lose some I guess.

Madchester313

6CE3EC1B-28F0-4606-97C8-697C728C663D.jpeg
DFDC8504-8AA2-4278-ACB9-5387F88C3CAC.jpeg
AECE7C79-8445-4B52-9B19-CD50742122EF.jpeg
DFDC8504-8AA2-4278-ACB9-5387F88C3CAC.jpeg
AECE7C79-8445-4B52-9B19-CD50742122EF.jpeg
l I know this is a old thread

I too went for some borellii but it has been suggested mine may well be steel blue although I can see the black circle just before the tail fin on mine like your have.

How have yours turned out was they infact steel blue. Not 100% sure what I have there still young. No idea what sex either

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….