• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID Assistance please

steph

5 Year Member
Hi All

I have been offered a pair of A. atahualpa to buy. I havent actually seen them yet (they are a long way away) and only have one picture of the male - but to me I dont think its atahualpa - not sure what it is tho?

Sorry about the quality of the photo, and I know you cant see the tail properly.

EDIT: URL deleted as requested.

I dont know the age but the pair has spawned successfully so definately sexually mature.

Any ideas / comments welcome - even confirmation that its not atahualpa would be great.

Cheers

Steph

steph

5 Year Member
Hey Rod

These fish are at fishchicks - have you seen them? Jodi said they had spawned, and from what I have read they are meant to be highly aggressive and Im surprised the male is still alive - her tanks are pretty tiny.

If I look at the pic on page 359 of Cichlid Atlas 1 the dorsal black markings and the red around the pectoral fin and caudal peduncle and the face are quite similar. Definately not the real roman nose of atahualpa.

Cheers

Steph

Ruki

5 Year Member
Your fish isn't an A. atahualpa definitely.
Your fish is from A. regani complex, not A. cacatuoides like A. atahualpa.
But I'm not sure what species you have.

steph

5 Year Member
A. atahualpa have extended dorsal rays......???

I'll drop in tomorrow and have a look......:rolleyes:any excuse!!!

My bible ..err.. Romers cichlid atlas says.. "the membranes of the anterior third of the dorsal fin are distinctly enlarged and pointed"

Glad to give you an excuse :)

Steph

MonteSS

Looks like my F0 Melgar.

IMG_6083s.jpg

....Bill

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with Bill (MonteSS). The fish in the first link is A. sp. Nanay/Melgar. The link in Rod's post isn't A. cruzi. A. cruzi doesn't have a caudal fin with rows of spots.

Fishchick

Hello Stephanie,
we believe the fish to be A. sp. "Melgar" pg 934 Mergus Cichlid Atlas #2

Please remove the photo - you do not have permission to use it and did not ask for permission to do so. The photographer is not impressed with this breach of copyright.

Regards, Jodi-Lea

steph

5 Year Member
Thanks every one for your help.

The vendor got back to me this morning and said "have ID'd them as Apisto. sp "Melgar" pg 934 of Mergus CIchlid Atlas #2"

Still a nice fish but not what I was after.

Cheers

Steph

MonteSS

Hello Stephanie,
we believe the fish to be A. sp. "Melgar" pg 934 Mergus Cichlid Atlas #2

Please remove the photo - you do not have permission to use it and did not ask for permission to do so. The photographer is not impressed with this breach of copyright.

Regards, Jodi-Lea

That was pretty rude Jodi-Lea. Not the best advertising for youe business IMHO. There was no "use" of your precious photo, mearly a link to the pic on the site. No copyright infringment was made.

...Bill

gingerbeer

5 Year Member
Thanks every one for your help.

The vendor got back to me this morning and said "have ID'd them as Apisto. sp "Melgar" pg 934 of Mergus CIchlid Atlas #2"

Still a nice fish but not what I was after.

Cheers

Steph

Steph, I feel bad having put you on to these fish that I saw them on the weekend and did think the ID was not quite right with the female in colour dress. I didn't think to let you know and am sorry.

They are very nice fish and surprisingly quiet with fry towards each other.

Fishchick

Ok - I don't want to get into a heated debate Bill - but let it be known there WAS no link - the photo was sent in a private email for the sole use of the recipient. It WAS NOT my photo - but I was given permission to send to the potential purchaser for their use.
There is a common misconception on the internet that any picture/video you see is public domain. This is not the case.
Have a look at this link - it will shed some light.
http://www.copyright.com.au/assets/documents/Copying and the Internet.pdf

If at any stage you wish to use someone's photos for whatever reason it is polite to ask. Manners are definitely a dying art.

Stephanie kindly removed the photo, so it's all good.

Best regards, Jodi-Lea

Rod

5 Year Member
For the record.....

checked them out.....very nice fish
Male is about 70mm long female just under 50mm

Lots of fry.....

All happily cohabiting in a 300 cube!!!

smootheye

5 Year Member

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You might be correct. Tom's fish from a pond near Picuruyacu, just outside of Iquitos, appears to be a color morph of Nanay/Melgar. It occurs within the range of other populations of Nanay/Melgar. Fish from ponds often appear to be more colorful. Please don't use the Picuruyacu name because you don't really know that it came from this location. Your fish is A. sp. Nanay/Melgar.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….