• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stocking advice

Frank158

Hello

Long time fishkeeper but new to dwarf cichlids. LFS has A. agassizii and A.cacatuoides (double red) So an opportunity for me to get some but I've come here because I want them to thrive and give them the best home and to get advice as to what to do. Here is the situation. I have two tanks that have been cycled for years and now just have enough fauna to keep the tanks well cycled.

Tank 1
15 gallon (24x12 footprint)
5 endlers
low light planted
pool filter sand

Tank 2
180L (39x16 footprint)
5 threadfin rainbows
2x Peacock Gudgeon
1 betta
1 bristlenose pleco
black seachem sand
medium light planted
CO2 injection (green drop checker lowers ph to about 6.5.....ish degassed tap water is about 7.5)

I can move all my fish around save for the pleco because I don't think I will be able to net him in a planted tank. :) So looking for advice. Which tank should I use and how much to stock? My initial thoughts are to either do a pair in the 15G or a trio in the the 180L but I am looking for advice from the community as to what you would do and why.

What is your preference agassizii or cacatuoides?

Pictures of the tanks.

15G
15G.jpg

180L

180L.jpg

Last edited:

Andreas

Hello

Long time fishkeeper but new to dwarf cichlids. LFS has A. agassizii and A.cacatuoides (double red) So an opportunity for me to get some but I've come here because I want them to thrive and give them the best home and to get advice as to what to do. Here is the situation. I have two tanks that have been cycled for years and now just have enough fauna to keep the tanks well cycled.

Tank 1
15 gallon (24x12 footprint)
5 endlers
low light planted
pool filter sand

Tank 2
180L (39x16 footprint)
5 threadfin rainbows
2x Peacock Gudgeon
1 betta
1 bristlenose pleco
black seachem sand
medium light planted
CO2 injection (green drop checker lowers ph to about 6.5.....ish degassed tap water is about 7.5)

I can move all my fish around save for the pleco because I don't think I will be able to net him in a planted tank. :) So looking for advice. Which tank should I use and how much to stock? My initial thoughts are to either do a pair in the 15G or a trio in the the 180L but I am looking for advice from the community as to what you would do and why.

What is your preference agassizii or cacatuoides?

Pictures of the tanks.

15G
View attachment 9351

180L

View attachment 9352
15 g you could cacotoides pair alone but I would put Indian almond leaf and I would add a LOT more plants and wood rocks etc
It will just make the fishes life more comfortable
2 tank you could do agassizii
I would take out peacock Gudgeon and add pool filter sand some where in the tank I would also add more decorations
This is my opinion so first see what the other people say

Frank158

Thanks for the advice and replies. I appreciate it.

I would take out peacock Gudgeon and add pool filter sand some where in the tank

I'm curious, is Seachem black sand not a good substrate for dwarf cichlids?

yukondog

5 Year Member
I would go with a pair of aggis. in the 15, use the 15 for a short term grow out tank after fry are old enough.

Frank158

Thanks for all the advice but is seems that Apistos are not in the cards for me. Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….