• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Really want to breed some apistos. NEED HELP

wtusa1783

So I just went to a lfs and they had Apistogramma cacatuoides double red. They are selling a pair for $40. I would like to breed them. My ph is around 7.8 usually and and Hard ish water. Can I breed them? I have a 20 high community tank but it has a kribensis. I also have an empty 10 gallon but it’s obviously not cycled but I have plenty of cycled media and a seeded sponge filter. What should I do?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Don't mix apistos and Kribs. Their aggression/submission signals are virtually opposite of each other. Add the cacs to the 10 with a seeded sponge filter and lots of hiding places. This makes a good quarantine tank. Then decide which is more important to you - a breeding tank or a community tank. When it comes to apistos a community tank is not a breeding tank.

wtusa1783

Don't mix apistos and Kribs. Their aggression/submission signals are virtually opposite of each other. Add the cacs to the 10 with a seeded sponge filter and lots of hiding places. This makes a good quarantine tank. Then decide which is more important to you - a breeding tank or a community tank. When it comes to apistos a community tank is not a breeding tank.
Ok. I got a trio and they are in a 20 gallon community tank for now. I want to get them their own 10 gal soon to breed. This tank has a kribensis and yes they are going at it. I’m giving her away today. Are they hard to breed?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I wrote, "Add the cacs to the 10 with a seeded sponge filter and lots of hiding places. This makes a good quarantine tank. This is only temporary housing - not long-term. Sorry foryour confusion.

wtusa1783

I wrote, "Add the cacs to the 10 with a seeded sponge filter and lots of hiding places. This makes a good quarantine tank. This is only temporary housing - not long-term. Sorry foryour confusion.
O ok. You didn’t say the temporary part so I was confused.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….