• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sand Substrate

Andy452

Hi Apisto Experts!

I'm planning a new Apisto tank (~18gal/69liter) for my Apistogramma Agassizii pair

One key point is a sand substrate, I have read that a sand substrate (~0.5mm silica sand ie filter sand) is best for apisto and their natural sifting behavior.

I have never used a sand substrate before so I have some questions

Q1) How deep should the sand be?

Q2) I'm planning to have a plant substrate as the bottom half then capped with the sand, do you for see and issues with this?

Q3) How do you clean the substrate, I mean I assume the sand can get stirred up more and possibly make a mess. Is it simply a matter of being more careful with the gravel vac? and maybe reduce the siphon flow?

Q4) I'm still deciding on filtration either sponge or aquaclear 20. Would a aquaclear 20 hanging on a 15" high tank stir up the sand?

Thanks
Andy

Andy452

1. sand cover at least 3cm 2. No 3. No gravel vac! 4. I doubt it but I prefer sponge filters because after a while micro organism live in it which is perfect for fry.

Thanks for the feedback.
I also like sponge filters but one of the reasons I was considering a small HOB in this case was for reduced noise as the tank will likely be in the study. Also if i put an intake sponge on it that would serve a similar function to the sponge of the sponge filter ie contain micro organisms for fry to feed on.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
......Also if i put an intake sponge on it that would serve a similar function to the sponge of the sponge filter ie contain micro organisms for fry to feed on.
Yes it will.

I put <"sizeable sponge blocks"> on all filter intakes.

attachment-php-attachmentid-15562-stc-1-d-1254795378-jpg.62498

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….