• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wild Bitaeniata?

WarrenNorwichUK

Hi, everyone it's my first time posting :)

I recently bought some wild caught Bitaeniata but there was no collection info. I order a trio of 2 f 1 m, but I have got 3 females as the suppliers said they're hard to sex, which isn't the case. They are small juveniles though.

Any experts able to pin point the location for me please? I'd be very grateful.

Thanks
Warren

Attachments

• IMG_0729.JPG
    IMG_0729.JPG
    473.1 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_0746.JPG
    IMG_0746.JPG
    555.4 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_0731.JPG
    IMG_0731.JPG
    407 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_0743.JPG
    IMG_0743.JPG
    578.6 KB · Views: 425

WarrenNorwichUK

Hi all,
Have a look at this thread <"Apistogramma bitaeniata female or ....">
I'll get the ball rolling, but with the usual disclaimer that I'm really poor at these. My first thought is that they are all males, based upon the markings in, and shape of, the caudal fin.

cheers Darrel

Thank you for replying. I knew as soon as I unpacked them that they are 3 males, by their body length, tail, and pelvic fins.

I have another 3 on order and they'll hopefullly be females. I'd like to know if anyone can identify their locality.

Again, many thanks.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Based on the lack of extensive blue streaks on the face and, instead, a lot of yellow they look like a Brazilian population to me. Without a collecting location they could be from anywhere from the Tapajós to the Jutai.

WarrenNorwichUK

Based on the lack of extensive blue streaks on the face and, instead, a lot of yellow they look like a Brazilian population to me. Without a collecting location they could be from anywhere from the Tapajós to the Jutai.

Could it be an issue that they're only about an inch and a half long? I think the supplier may now be out of stock of these wild Apistos. I don't really want to mix different localities thanks for the reply, much appreciated :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
No, size isn't as important as sexual maturity - and your fish are sexually mature. I'm afraid your only options are to either accept mixing populations (or even different species?) or trying a new group of more than 6 randomly picked specimens (This only works, of course, if they were collected randomly).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….